In connection with the improvement of the epidemiological situation and extensive immunization against COVID-19, Azerbaijan is gradually joining the global initiative aimed at opening borders ensuring the safest quarantine-free travel possible, reviving the tourism industry and resuming flights to international destinations.
In this regard, we provide passengers with general information and answers to frequently asked questions below:
1. Who is allowed to enter Azerbaijan by air and under what conditions?
- Due to the favorable epidemic situation, starting Azerbaijan has lifted restrictions imposed on entry by air for citizens of the following countries and stateless persons: Albania, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Belarus, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Cuba, Czech Republic, Cyprus, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hong-Kong (PRC), Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Maldives, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Panama, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, The Netherlands, Tajikistan, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey Turkmenistan, UAE, Ukraine, United Kingdom, Uruguay, USA, Uzbekistan and Venezuela which have been in effect since March 2020. Previously, entry to Azerbaijan was only possible for its own residents, their relatives in direct descent and persons allowed to work and reside in Azerbaijan.
Citizens of the above countries can enter Azerbaijan. Note that persons over 18 years old must have a certificate confirming full vaccination or recovery from COVID-19. Such certificate must have the attributes of electronic verification (for example, QR code) confirming its validity.
2. Under what conditions are citizens of Azerbaijan allowed to enter the country?
- The citizens of Azerbaijan their relatives in direct descent (spouse, parents, brothers, sisters, children, grandparents or grandchildren), also family members of those passengers (parents, spouse or children), as well as persons who are allowed to work or hold a residence permit in Azerbaijan can arrive in Azerbaijan by air.
3. Do passengers need to provide certificates or COVID-passports when leaving the country?
- Passengers departing from Azerbaijan must have only those documents and certificates that are required to enter the country of destination. Azerbaijan does not require a certificate or a COVID passport from departing passengers; however, should these documents be required in the country of destination, they will be checked before departure at the check-in counter. It is recommended to check the current information on the requirements in force in different countries on the official websites of the relevant diplomatic missions.
4. Is it necessary for passengers of domestic flights to pass the COVID-19 test?
- No. The requirement of COVID-19 test has been lifted for passengers of domestic flights. At the same time, all passengers traveling on internal flights and arriving at the Heydar Aliyev International Airport will pass a PCR test.
5. Which self-isolation measures are applied to passengers entering Azerbaijan by air?
- Upon arrival in the country, the mandatory two-week self-isolation is canceled. However, those arriving in the country should still remember to keep sosial distance and all sanitary and epidemiological rules in public and crowded places.
6. What are the rules of carriage of hand luggage on flights operated by your Airline?
- Azerbaijan's national air carrier AZAL and low-cost airline Buta Airways are restoring the rules of carriage of hand luggage that were in effect before the pandemic. On the flights performed by “Azerbaijan Airlines”, it is allowed to carry hand luggage weighing up to 10 kg. On “Buta Airways” flights, in addition to the list of hand luggage items allowed for carriage on flights, the passenger can take any type of hand luggage (backpack, sports bag, etc.) as an additional free item (the sum of three dimensions should not exceed 75 cm - 30x35x10 cm).