Rules & Conditions
1. General provisions
Rules for carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo is the main regulatory document regulating the activities of the national carrier, represented by Azerbaijan Airlines CJSC (hereinafter - the Airline) relating to the carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo by air, and provides for the Airline and customers relationship.
The Airline Rules for carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo are developed on the base of international legal instruments relating to the air carriage, recommendations of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and International Air Transport Association (IATA), the Law “On Aviation” of the Republic of Azerbaijan, № 944 – IIQ dated 24th of June 2005, and normative legal documents of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
The purpose of these Rules is to define the conditions of carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo with aircrafts of Azerbaijan Airlines CJSC, which ensure a proper level of safety and service quality, as well as the principles and norms of responsibility of persons during the carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo by air, including the carriage related services.
These Rules apply to the personnel of "Azerbaijan Airlines" CJSC, Service Agents, Transportation Sales Agents and Passengers of the Airline.
These Rules apply to any carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo, including the services related to such carriage and performed by "Azerbaijan Airlines" CJSC, unless otherwise specified in special carriage conditions.
Service Agents, Transportation Sales Agents, employees or representatives of the Airline are required to strictly comply with these Rules and do not have rights to distort or modify provisions hereof.
2. Terms, Definitions and abbreviations
Terms used in these rules shall mean:
Full name — “Azerbaijan Airlines” Closed Joint Stock Company;
Short name — AZAL CJSC;
For international civil aviation organizations - AZERBAIJAN AIRLINES (AZAL)
A set of measures, including human and material resources, for the protection of aviation against acts of unlawful interference.
A person authorized by Airline to provide ground services for passengers and baggage.
TRANSPORTATION SALES AGENT
A person appointed by the Airline according to the agency agreement to represent the interests of the Airline in sale of air transportation on the Airline’s flights, and where there is an appropriate authority, on the flights of other Carriers (hereinafter - the Agent).
PROPERTY IRREGULARITY REPORT (PIR)
A document drawn up by the Airline in the presence of the Passenger before his/her exit from the restricted area of the airport terminal, immediately upon detecting any damage (loss, shortage and deterioration ) to the baggage carried by the aircrafts of one or more Airlines.
The act is signed both by the Airline and the Passenger.
The baggage in the custody of Carrier, for which baggage receipt and baggage tag are issued to passengers.
BAGGAGE IDENTIFICATION TAG (BAGGAGE TAG)
A document issued by the Airline for identification of checked baggage, that is the Passengers’ baggage accepted for air carriage, being in the custody of the Airline.
A document issued by the Airline for air carriage of the checked baggage in accordance with the contract of carriage.
Regular ticket (Passenger Ticket and Baggage Check) — a carriage document of specific form prepared on a paper and confirmed by the carrier, confirming an agreement and conditions of air transportation of passenger and his/her baggage;
Electronic ticket is an electronic analog of a regular ticket, which is entered in computer database of the carrier, and considered to be an air carriage agreement. E-ticket reflects the full information similar to that in regular airline ticket printed on paper, and is used in electronic sale of air carriage in accordance with applicable legislation on e-commerce.
BOOKING (or reservation)
An advance booking of a seat in an aircraft for specific flight and date for carriage of Passenger, or advance booking of the volume and tonnage in the aircraft for a specific flight and date for carriage of baggage (cargo).
Depending on which of the documents listed below is applicable to the Agreement of air carriage, shall mean:
- Convention of the unification of certain rules concerning international air carriage signed at Warsaw on October 12-th, 1929 (hereinafter – the Warsaw Convention);
- The Warsaw Convention with amendments made at the Hague on September 28-th, 1955;
- The Warsaw Convention as amended by the Additional Protocol No. 1 in Montreal (1975);
- The Warsaw Convention as amended at The Hague, and the Additional Protocol No. 2 of Montreal (1975);
- The Warsaw Convention as amended at The Hague, and the Additional Protocol No. 4 of Montreal (1975);
- Guadalajara Supplementary Convention (1961) for the Unification of certain Rules relating to the International Carriage by Air performed by persons other than the contracting carriers, signed in Guadalajara on September 18-th, 1961.
- Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules for International Carriage by Air; done at Montreal on 28 May 1999
- means the person or enterprise whose name or denomination is entered as contracting partner in the provided space on the air waybill, upon conclusion of the contract of carriage.
DOMESTIC AIR TRANSPORTATION
- Transportation of passengers and their baggage, at which both the departure point and the point of destination, as well as all planned stops are located within the territory of Azerbaijan.
- Payment of a part or whole cost of the carriage to a Passenger or a person (organization) who paid the fare,
which was previously paid but was not used, fully or partially.
THE HAGUE PROTOCOL
Protocol on Amendments to the Convention for the Unification of Certain Rules Relating to International Carriage by Air (1955)
Departments, agencies and their units exercising control over Passengers to comply with customs, currency, border, sanitary, veterinary and quarantine regulations.
Property, drawn up by the airway bill, and accepted for the air carriage, except for baggage and mail;
A document confirming the conclusion of the Contract for carriage of cargo, its terms and acceptance of cargo for the carriage;
GROUP AIR TRANSPORTATION
Carriage of a group of persons (not less than 10 persons for economy class, and not less than 6 persons for business class, excluding children under the age of 2), who have a common goal of travel with the same dates of departure and arrival, and who paid for the tickets at the group fare.
Persons who have legally or illegally entered the country, and who were after a while ordered to leave that country by the government bodies (escorted and unescorted).
Calendar days, including all seven days of a week, holidays, days off and non-working days, provided that when delivering a notice, the day of sending the notice shall not be counted, and when determining the duration of the effect, a day of issuance of a ticket, or a day of flight commencement shall not be counted.
AIR TRANSPORTATION AGREEMENT
Agreement concluded between the carrier and a physical or legal person regarding delivery of passengers, baggage or cargo to the destination point (points) for the fixed fee. The Agreement on air carriage of Passengers shall be confirmed by ticket, Agreement on air carriage of cargo – by freight bill, and Agreement on air carriage of baggage – by baggage check;
ADDITIONAL CARRIAGE (ADDITIONAL FLIGHT)
Flight operated extra to the schedule on the same route on which regular flights are conducted.
An appeal demanding the resumption of the legitimate interests of physical or legal persons violated by the acts/omission of the Airline’s officials.
Arrival of a baggage at passenger’s destination with delay, exceeding a reasonable time period.
Passenger, his/her legal representatives and other persons authorized in accordance with the law to represent the Passenger.
Passenger’s baggage accepted by the Airline for carriage under its own responsibility for its safety and timely delivery, and for which the Airline has issued a baggage receipt and one baggage identification tag for each piece of baggage.
Conditions under which the carriage of Passengers and baggage is not subject to regular operations and procedures of operation of civil aircrafts, including conditions under which carriage of peacekeeping contingents, carriage for liquidation of natural disasters or accidents etc. is carried out.
EXCESS BAGGAGE TICKET - EBT
A document certifying the payment of excess baggage, or items the carriage of which is subject to compulsory payment.
A list and standards of Passenger services provided in accordance with the paid fare.
A person who takes air flight compulsorily, accompanied by authorized officers of the relevant authorities.
Special fare of the Airline not published in the global booking systems.
Carriage of passengers and baggage at which the departure point and destination point, regardless of whether or not there was an interruption in flight, are located within the territory of different countries, or in the territory of the same country if a stop is planned in the territory of another country.
Checked baggage arrived at the destination point specified in the baggage tag, but not received by the Passenger.
BAGGAGE SHORTAGE IN WEIGHT
Arrival of Passengers' baggage at destination point with less weight than indicated in the carriage documents of the Passenger.
Any baggage of a Passenger, except for checked one, carried in the passenger cabin of the aircraft (including hand baggage).
A person who takes air flight compulsorily, unaccompanied by authorized officers of the relevant authorities.
Individual or group feedbacks, suggestions (notes) and complaints of physical or legal persons stated in written or oral form
Temporary interruption of carriage pre-agreed between the Airline and the Passenger (for more than 24 hours) at any point, except for the points of departure and destination.
Individual or group opinions of physical / legal persons regarding the services provided, work of certain departments or the Airline in whole.
DENIAL OF CARRIAGE
The Airline’s denial to accept a passenger for a certain flight.
A person who is carried, or to be carried on an aircraft according to the contract of air transportation, except for members of the crew;
Part of the baggage weight which is in excess of the free baggage allowance set by the Airline, and is paid by a Passenger according to the established tariffs, as well as items not covered by the free baggage allowance (bulky baggage, sports equipment, pets and domestic (tame) animals, except for guide-dogs accompanying blind / deaf Passengers; baggage, the declared value of which exceeds the limit of liability of the Carrier set by the Warsaw Convention and Montreal Convention).
DAMAGE TO BAGGAGE / CARGO
Damage to baggage or cargo as a result of which its full use for the original purpose is not possible (decrease in value);
A reservation that was registered in the automated reservation system and confirmed by the Airline. It is indicated on the ticket with “ОК’”.
Part of the passenger ticket, or in case of electronic ticket, the electronic coupon which identifies the relevant points between which the coupon is valid for the carriage of the Passenger and baggage.
Non-arrival of baggage to the destination point within established period of search and recognition of this fact by the Carrier.
The rules established by the Airline which are applied in transportation of Passengers and / or baggage and cargo.
Individual or group appeal of physical or legal persons with recommendations, advices on the activities of certain departments or the Airline in whole.
A written request of the interested person for indemnification of damages (loss) emerged as a result of non-performance of the terms of the contract of carriage, claimed within the period of time prescribed by the present Conditions.
Effective international legislation as well as laws, regulations and orders and other regulatory legal acts of any State governing the air carriage of Passengers and baggage from the territory, to the territory and through the territory of which the air transportation of passengers and baggage is carried out.
POINT OF DESTINATION
A point specified on the ticket where the carriage of a passenger is terminated.
POINT OF DEPARTURE
A point specified on the ticket where the carriage of a passenger commences.
POINT OF TRANSFER
An intermediate airport (point) specified on the ticket at which, pursuant to the air transportation agreement, the passenger makes transfer from one flight to another during 24 hours.
A period of time, which reasonable limit for the air carriage of the Passenger (baggage) is from 2 to 24 hours beyond the start and end of the flight specified in the flight schedule of the Airline.
REGULAR CARRIAGE (REGULAR FLIGHT)
A flight operated pursuant to the route in accordance with the established schedule.
Passenger baggage marked by the tag «CABIN LUGGAGE», which with consent of the Airline is placed in the cabin of the aircraft, and is under the control of a Passenger.
Amount set in accordance with the established practice, charged by the Airline, Agent or other competent authorities beyond the fixed fee during carriage of Passenger or its baggage.
Applied fare reduction established by the rules of the Airline.
SPECIAL CATEGORIES OF PASSENGERS
Passengers requiring special attention or special conditions during carriage.
Conditions of carriage of passengers and baggage emerging due to discrepancies between regulations of these Rules and the rules of other country, or if the rules of the other country establish a lower level of the carriage conditions than the one established by these Rules, or if other country requires observance of its rules, herewith endangering implementation of the air carriage agreement.
Fare that has certain limitations at its application, established for carriage in economy class (in most cases), and published as a special fare in the automated reservation systems.
An established amount, charged by the Airline for carriage of one Passenger or per unit weight/volume of baggage, cargo and mail on the specified route and at the specified service class
TRANSATLANTIC CARRIAGE (FLIGHT)
Air carriage to / from the U.S. and Canada as well as flights to the transatlantic region with STOPOVER in countries of Western Europe.
Harm caused during the carriage by air, which can occur due to
- death or injury to health of a Passenger;
- loss, shortage or damage to baggage or a part thereof;
- delays in delivery of Passenger or his/her baggage to the destination.
Circumstances of insuperable force, unusual and unforeseeable , which are beyond the control of the Airline and/or a Passenger, the consequences of which can not be avoided (exception: unfavourable meteorological conditions).
CHARTER TRANSPORTATION (CHARTER FLIGHTS)
A flight operated under the custom (charter) flight agreement signed by the customer for the delivery of passengers or cargo to the destination;
3. Compliance with laws and requirements of state authorities
All rights and responsibilities of the Airline and Passengers, consignors and consignees, arising from contracts of international and domestic air carriage are regulated by:
- Multilateral and bilateral international treaties and agreements of the Republic of Azerbaijan;
- The Civil Code of the Azerbaijan Republic, the Law of Azerbaijan Republic "On the Aviation", No. 944-IIQ
dated 24.06.2005, and other respective legislative acts of the Azerbaijan Republic;
- Resolution of the Cabinet of Ministers, No. 94 dated 11.07.2007;
- The Airline’s By-Laws;
- Recommendations of IATA;
- Agreements to which the Airline is a party;
- The present Rules.
Carriage of Passengers and baggage is subject to the relevant laws, resolutions, rules and regulations of public authorities of any country to, from or through the territory of which such carriage is operated.
The responsibility of the Airline during air transportations within the territory of the Azerbaijan Republic shall be regulated by the legislative acts of the Republic of Azerbaijan and these Rules.
Transportations to the points and from the points of the United States and Canada are subject to the transportation rules of these states, even if they differ from these rules.
These Rules shall be applied to charter transportations in case they do not conflict with the terms of the charter agreement.
For transportation from the points located within the territory of the European Union, the cases of a flight cancellation, flight delays, denied boarding or downgrade should be regulated by the requirements of EC Regulation No. 261/2004.
4. Change of rules
These Rules, instructions and other documents of the Airline, governing air transportations, are subject to change by the Airline without notice to passengers, provided that no such changes is applied to the Passenger after the start of his/her carriage.
The representatives, employees and agents of the Airline are required to strictly adhere to these Rules, and do not have a right to distort or change provisions thereof.
All changes, additions and amendments to the Rules shall be made in due order and become effective after approval by the Head of the Airline.
Changes to the Rules shall be made only by “Azerbaijan Airlines” CJSC, by way of considering the proposals made by its employees, Agents and Service Agents, Passengers and other Carriers and state authorities.
5. Electronic Ticket
Electronic ticket is an electronic analog of the regular ticket which is placed in a computer database of the Carrier, and is considered to be an air transportation agreement. E-ticket reflects the full information similar to that in a regular airline ticket printed on paper, and is used in electronic sale of air transportations, in accordance with applicable legislation on e-commerce
Passengers can get an executed itinerary-receipt (hard copy, paper copy) of the electronic ticket directly at the sales point of the Airline and its Agent, or choose a delivery method agreed with the Airline or the Authorized Agent; otherwise passengers can get an itinerary-receipt of the electronic ticket by themselves, in case of purchase of a ticket over the internet, at the official website of the Airline: azal.az, in accordance with the procedure established by the Airline or the Authorized Agent. The term “itinerary receipt” in these rules shall mean information about the fact of booking and payment of e-ticket
Name and surname of a passenger (full), number of identification document, place and date of issue, place of origin and destination, scheduled stoppage, price of the ticket, name and address of the airline, a statement that the carriage is subject to the liability rules established by any international law, or the laws of the Republic of Azerbaijan must necessarily be indicated.
The charge for the carriage of passengers, baggage and cargo, performed under the chartering agreement shall not be specified in the ticket executed for passengers departing on charter flights.
Ticket shall be issued only after payment of the carriage cost according to the fare established by the Airline. The ticket purchased via bank transfer, at a discount, or free of charge is issued only after execution of all the necessary formalities. Passenger may be accepted for carriage only upon presentation of a passport and a ticket.
Changes in the Ticket, at the request of a Passenger, shall be accepted with the consent of the Airline, and are made by the Airline or its Authorized Agent (Agent) at the place of purchase of the Ticket according to the fare application rules of the Airlines, and during the period of validity of such ticket.
The date, flight number and departure time can be changed by way of reissuing a ticket with upon payment of charges in accordance with fare application rules of the Airline.
The Airline or servicing organization shall specify the number of seats and the gross weight of baggage in the baggage check, which forms a part of the Ticket certifying the receipt of baggage for carriage. If a Passenger holds an electronic ticket, information on the number of seats and / or weight of the baggage shall be entered in electronic form in the automated system of registration of passengers and baggage.
A Ticket is valid for carriage of Passenger and baggage from the point of departure to the point of destination for the route, date and flight number, for which a seat is booked, in the class of service and time specified on the ticket.
A Ticket issued at the regular fare is valid for the carriage a Passenger and his/her baggage for one year from the initial departure date.
If a ticket is issued in a leap year, on 29th of February, it will be valid until 1st of March of the following year.
In the event of death of a passenger en route, the tickets of the persons accompanying the passenger may be modified without fee by waiving the minimum stay or extending the validity. In the event of a death in the immediate family of a passenger who has commenced travel, the validity of the passenger’s tickets and those of his or her immediate family accompanying the passenger may be likewise modified. Any such modification shall be made upon receipt of a proper death certificate and any such extension of validity shall not be for a period longer than forty-five (45) days from the date of the death. Immediate family means spouse, children (including adopted children), parents, brothers, sisters, grandparents, grandchildren.
In accordance with the fare paid, Passengers are provided with the service in business or economy class. List and standards of provision of services by appropriate classes are established by the Airline. Upon a Passenger’s request, the Airline (its Agent) must inform a Passenger about the services in the appropriate class.
A Passenger is accepted for carriage in the service class specified in the Ticket, on the date of the flight and the appropriate flight for which a Passenger holds a confirmed reservation.
A stopover is allowed only under condition that it is previously agreed with the Airline, or its Agent, and is indicated on the ticket.
If a ticket is issued at the regular rate, a Passenger is allowed to have stopovers at any point along the transportation route.
If a ticket is issued at the special rate, Passenger’s stopovers shall be regulated by the rules of application of that special fare.
In any case, the following conditions shall be observed for a stopover:
- Stopover shall be made within a Passenger’s ticket validity;
- Stopover must be allowed by the state authorities of the country, where it is planned to be.
7. Fares and charges
General provisions on the application of fares and charges
Applicable fares are the fares for a flight or flights, from the point of departure to the point of destination that are indicated on the ticket, valid for the respective class of service as of the day of payment for the ticket, that are established and published by the airline or on behalf of the Airline (or if they are not published, then they are calculated pursuant to the Airline’s fare regulations). Each fare provides the rules of its application, which establish the validity term of the ticket and conditions of application of the fare. The fares do not include transportation services between airport terminals and between airports and city terminals.
Changes of fares or Rules of the Airline do not affect the terms of the contract of carriage, if a Passenger has already paid for the ticket (unless a Passenger changes the terms of the contract of carriage relating to changes in the route and fixed travel dates.)
Discounts to the applicable fares are regulated by special instructions of the Airline, developed on the basis of the current legislation of the Azerbaijan Republic, and the regulatory documents of ІATA.
Cost of transportation and charges shall be paid in accordance with the exchange control regulations of the country of sale.
Charges that are imposed on a Passenger by the relevant state bodies, local government body for the use of any services or equipment, are included in the applicable fares, and must be paid by a Passenger.
Payment for carriage can be made in cash, or by bank transfer. In certain cases, the Airline reserves the right to ask a Passenger to present a carriage payment receipt, or any financial document confirming payment of the carriage.
If payment of fares and charges is made in the country of payment of carriage in a currency that does not correspond to the one established and published by the Airline in the automated reservation system, the exchange rate for such currency shall comply with bank exchange rate (DCB), which is used by the Airline on the day of ticket sale.
Within the framework of protection against illegal use of bank cards and electronic fraud, the Airline has the right to ask a Passenger for a credit card by which the payment of carriage has been made. Payment for carriage using a credit card of a third party is not permitted. Passengers bear pecuniary responsibility for financial and other risks that may arise as a result of failure to provide, or for provision of incomplete and/or incorrect data to the Airline.
In case of a Passenger’s refusal to provide such information, the Airline has a right to refuse the issuance of a passenger ticket and to terminate the Agreement of carriage unilaterally by deducting the full cost of carriage as an exceptional penalty under the Agreement of carriage.
In case bank refuses to refund the cost of carriage to the Airlines, a Passenger must, on demand, reimburse to the Airline the amount of uncompensated payment within the terms and in a manner acceptable to the Airline.
Flight booking are made in the offices of the Airline, Agencies representing the Airline, in the offices of other airlines.
Booking of air transportation shall be valid only after making Booking in the Computer-based Reservation System (CRS) of the Airline according to the Booking Procedures.
If a Passenger has not paid the fare within the time limits defined by the Airline (its agent), the Airline shall be entitled to cancel the booked carriage, including on the next route stages. The Airline is entitled not to notify a Passenger thereof. Until the fare is paid within the time limits defined by the Airline (or its Agent), and a Passenger is issued the duly executed ticket, the reservation shall be deemed advanced, and may be cancelled as well as the status of booking may be modified, including on the next route stages. The Airline has to notify a Passenger thereof.
If a Passenger has a completely or partially unused ticket, and he/she wishes to postpone the departure date to another time, his/her reservation shall be made in accordance with the general procedure.
The Airline shall not provide a Passenger with the definite place aboard the aircraft. Ticket purchasing shall mean a Passenger’s consent to any place to be provided aboard, in accordance with the service class identified in the Ticket.
If a Passenger has an open date ticket (without reservation note), the place is reserved based on a Passenger’s request, subject to availability of seats on the specified flight, for which the request was submitted.
Special rates may include conditions which restrict or do not provide rights of a Passenger to rebooking.
Information on passenger
The Airline is entitled to request a Passenger to provide information and to submit documents required for reservation, providing special services and for compliance with in-flight safety rules, that is: - Last name, first name, middle name;
- information on a Passenger’s document (passport, or any document, which can replace it);
- Information on secondary documents (visa, health certificate, documents for children carriage, etc.);
- Permanent residence address;
- Information related to temporary residence address during the period of stay at the point of destination or permanent address;
- Any other information as requested by authorities of the country of departure/destination/travel in transit.
To the extent the applicable law permits, a Passenger authorizes the Airline to retain any personal data which has been provided to the Carrier (its Agent) for the purpose of making a reservation for carriage, for obtaining ancillary services, for operating baggage tracing system, and ticket/indemnification fraud prevention/detection systems, for facilitating immigration and entry requirements to the country.
The Airline is further authorized to transmit such data for said purposes to its employees, its service providing Agents, other carriers, providers of ancillary services, or government authorities (upon their request), in whatever country they may be located.
The Airline’s Agents are not entitled to disclose any information related to a Passenger and his/her carriage to third parties. The Airline is not entitled to disclose any information related to a Passenger and his/her carriage to third parties, unless such events are provided for by the legislation of Azerbaijan Republic.
Reconfirmation of Reservations
Should the necessity arise to reconfirm the return reservation, the Airline shall advise a Passenger when and how it should be done.
If reconfirmation is required by the Airline, and the Passenger fails to do it, the Airline shall be entitled to cancel the return reservation.
If a Passenger fails to show for a flight, where he/she has a confirmed reservation, and fails to give a prior notification to the Airline on the changes made to his/her journey, the Airline is entitled to cancel the Passenger’s reservation for the next route stages or return reservation which was made by the Airline itself, or it was made by other Carrier, on the Passenger’s request.
If a Passenger fails to arrive on time to check-in for a flight, for which he/she has a confirmed reservation, and he/she wishes to rebook or return the ticket within the period of its validity, relevant duties for rebooking or return and penalty for no-show shall be collected.
A Passenger who wishes to rebook or return the ticket within less than 60 minutes prior to departure, shall be deemed as a no-show passenger.
9. Administrative formalities
Administrative Obligations of Passengers
A Passenger is responsible for obtaining all required travel documents, visas, permits, etc., as well as for complying with all applicable laws of the Countries of departure, arrival or transit to be flown from, to or through The Airline shall not be liable for the consequences to passengers resulting from failure to obtain such documents or visas, or to comply with the requirements of applicable laws.
If required by the Airline, a Passenger shall present to designated persons, representatives of appropriate public authorities all exit, entry, transit, health and other documents required by applicable laws, and permit the Airline to take and retain copies thereof, or to retain a Passenger’s personal information appeared in the appropriate documents in any other way.
The Airline reserves the right to refuse carriage, if a Passenger failed to comply with the applicable laws, or if his/her documents do not appear to be in order (including missing visa, money, return ticket, etc.).
Refusal of Entry
The Airline shall not be held liable, if public authorities denied Passenger’s entry into a country.
If so requested by the Airline, or any public authority, a Passenger must return to the point of departure or to another place due to refusal of entry by the country, whether such country is the destination or transit point, as well as pay appropriate rate for a Passenger’s return carriage.
To pay for such carriage the Airline may use any funds from amounts earlier paid by a Passenger for the failed carriage, which remain in its possession, or any other Passenger’s funds in possession of the Airline.
The fare collected for carriage to the point where he/she was denied entry, or to the point of his/her deportation shall not be refunded.
If the Airline was forced to pay or deposit any amount, or to provide financial guarantee by reason of a Passenger’s failure to comply with applicable laws, or his/her refusal to present travel documents, or presenting forged documents, or documents containing false information, the Passenger must reimburse the Airline, on demand, any amount so paid or deposited, and any other expenditures so incurred.
The Airline is entitled to apply the value of any of Passenger’s unused carriage prepaid by him/her, and remaining in its possession, or any of his/her other funds in possession of the Airline, or may refuse the carriage, if the Passenger fails to indemnify the expenditures of the Airline.
Customs Inspection and Security Inspection
A Passenger must submit all his/her Baggage for Customs Inspection (if so required by appropriate authorities) and Aviation Security Check.
The Airline shall not be liable for any loss or damage to Passenger’s Baggage resulting out of his/her failure to comply with the requirements of the Customs or Aviation Security Service.
If a Passenger refuses to undergo inspection, the Airline shall not allow his/her air carriage. Herewith, the Airline shall not be held liable to a Passenger for carriage refusal, except for the liabilities associated with indemnification of the value of any unused carriage in accordance with Fare application Rules. A Passenger must reimburse any ancillary expenditure incurred by the Airline due to his/her refusal to undergo the aforementioned check.
Restricted articles of hand baggage seized during security screening that are allowed for carriage as Checked Baggage shall be carried on the same flight as the Passenger.
Illness, injury, childbirth, other mental, psychological or physiological manifestations that require medical care, or death of the Checked-in passenger at the airport
In the event of illness, injury, childbirth, other mental, psychological or physiological manifestations that require medical care or death of the Checked-in passenger at the airport, the Airline shall take measures for arrangement of medical assistance through ambulance call-out. However while complying with this Clause, the Airline shall not be held liable for the Passenger’s life and health.
Expenditures associated with evacuation to the medical facility and from the medical facility to the airport, delivery of health care, etc. shall be indemnified by the Passenger or his/her legal representatives.
10. Carriage of passengers
Passenger and baggage check-in.
In order to permit completion of any formalities prior to flight departure (check-in procedures, payment of excess Baggage, screening, customs, border and other formalities, processing of departure and entry documents) a Passenger must arrive at check-in point with all required travel documents, no later than the time identified by the Airline (its Agent). Check-in deadline for International Flights of the Airline is 60 minutes prior to the flight departure. Check-in deadline for Domestic Flight of the Airline is 30 minutes prior to the flight departure. If a Passenger arrives to Check-in location after the deadline for Passengers’ Check-in or without required travel documents, the Airline is entitled to cancel reservation, and is not obliged to delay the flight. The Airline is obliged to notify a Passenger on the Check-in deadline.
The Airline shall not be held liable to a Passenger for any expenses and losses resulting out of his/her failure to comply with the provisions of item 10.1.1.
In order to pass Check-in and Baggage handling procedures, a Passenger must present the document, based on which the ticket was issued. Likewise, as required, a Passenger must have documents proving special conditions of a Passenger’s and his/her Baggage carriage (Letter of authorization to accompany and supervise a child, medical assessment report, veterinary certificate, etc.)
The Airline shall be entitled to check a Passenger’s travel documents, that is passport, visas, health and vaccination certificates, permits for travel of underage children, etc. for their compliance with requirements of authorities at the points of departure, transfer and destination, even if he/she is carried to the terminal point by another Carrier.
At Check-in, as requested by a Passenger or the Airline, the class of a Passenger’s service may be changed in accordance with Item 18.1.1. Change of the class of service caused by impossibility to provide service in accordance with reservation shall be done based in Items 18.2.1, 18.2.2.
The seat a Passenger wishes to take in the aircraft in accordance with the class of service may be assigned to a Passenger only if it is available.
A Boarding Pass is issued to a Passenger at Check-in. The following information shall be displayed in the Boarding Pass: Passenger’s initials and Last Name, Flight Number, Departure Date, Boarding Deadlines and Seat Number aboard the aircraft. Other information may be displayed on the Boarding Pass, as required. Passenger boarding shall be done upon presentation of the Boarding Pass for a relevant flight.
If a Passenger fails to arrive on time for boarding, his/her carriage on such flight may be refused. In the event if a Passenger checked-in and failed to arrive to boarding, his/her Baggage is subject to removal and mandatory check.
Online Check-in for the flights of the Airline is provided on the official web site of the Company: azal.az . Online Check-in starts 24 hours prior to the flight departure. After passing through online Check-in procedure, an E-Boarding Pass is sent to Your e-mail and/or mobile phone, indicating personal bar-code indicating Your seat aboard the aircraft. You must arrive at Check-in location for document examination and baggage check-in. Depending on equipment capabilities of the airports, this service still may not be used for some flights of the Airline.
Liability of the Airline to a Passenger for discharge of undertaken obligation in accordance with the Contract of Air Carriage shall come into effect after execution of carriage contract.
Insurance Liability of the Airline shall come into effect after a Passenger’s and his/her Baggage Check-in.
Passengers’ Boarding Deadline is 15 minutes prior to Flight Departure. Passengers will be informed thereof at Check-in.
11. Refusal of Passenger Carriage
Right to Refuse Carriage
The Airline is entitled to refuse initial or further carriage of a Passenger, Baggage for reasons of flight security and for compliance with applicable laws, or in the exercise of its reasonable discretions, if it believes that:
1) Such measure is required for compliance with applicable laws of the country of origin/arrival/transit;
2) Due to a Passenger’s behavior, age, mental or physical state, if there are grounds to consider that a Passenger:
- Requires special assistance of the Airline, which may not be provided by the Airline for definite reasons;
- Causes discomfort to other Passengers;
- Involves any hazard or risk to himself/herself, or other Passengers, or property of other Passengers, or Airline;
3) If a Passenger failed to comply with the Airline Procedures on Carriage of Passengers and Baggage, or the Airline Instructions associated with flight security, comfort and quality of other Passengers carriage, and that creates inconvenience for carriage of other Passengers, which causes the Airline failure to implement its liabilities to Passengers aboard the aircraft;
4) If a Passenger’s conduct or behavior put into question the flight safety with such person. Such behavior include aggressive behavior of the Passenger threatening other Passengers, Airline employees and crew team;
5) If a Passenger refused to submit to a security check;
6) If a Passenger may be or already is dangerous to other Passengers (Baggage, Cargo) or the Aircraft;
7) If applicable fare or any charges payable were paid, or credit arrangements agreed between the Airline and a Passenger were complied with;
8) If a Passenger failed to submit required travel documents;
9) If a Passenger seek to enter a country of transit, for which he/she does not hold a valid entry document;
10) A) if a Transfer Passenger has an unused first/primary flight coupon, but he/she applies for check in (for flight) in any other stop of his/her travel route, the transfer passenger’s first/primary flight coupon is checked, whether it’s been used or not, and if the flight with the first/primary flight coupon (according to the manifesto) has actually taken place, and the coupon has not been closed due to technical/technological error, the open segment of the coupon is allowed to be transferred to “Suspended”, and the passenger is allowed to be accepted to the next flight. If a Transfer Passenger has an unused first/primary flight coupon, and it is not confirmed whether he/she has actually used the flight or not, the Airline has the right to cancel the reservation of the Transfer passenger, to consider the ticket unvalid and to refuse the reimbursment of the ticket’s cost;
B) if a Passenger has an unused previous flight coupons, but applies for check in in any other stop of travel route, the Passenger’s previous flight coupon is allowed to be transferred to “Suspended”, and the passenger is allowed to be accepted to the next flight. The Airline has the right to cancel the reservation of such passenger;
11) If a person presenting the Ticket cannot prove that he/she is the person identified in the Ticket (in this case the Airline is entitled to retain such ticket, declare it to be invalid and refuse to refund);
12) If a Passenger failed to observe the policies of the Airline during previous flights, and is included on the Airline’s list of persons non grata for carriage;
13) If the Airline notified a Passenger in writing or electronically that his/her carriage after the specified date is impossible.
14) If Passenger and his/her baggage does not meet the requirements of the applicable laws of the landing and transit country which are stated in TIM/TIMATIC rules.
15) If passanger’s travel documents are considered unvalid (false, damaged, torn, washed etc.)
16) In case of passenger with infectious disease.
Payload restrictions of aircraft
For the flight safety purposes if the permitted payload of an aircraft is exceeded, the Airline reserves the right to decide on carriage of a passenger on another flight with the consent of the passenger. Where there is baggage or cargo that exceeds the payload of an aircraft, in order to ensure flight safety as well as the timely departure of an aircraft, the Airline may decide to carry such baggage or cargo in random order on the next flight operated in this direction.
12. Carriage of Special Category Passengers
General conditions of carriage shall be applied to all Special Category Passengers and their baggage. The below mentioned procedures refer only to the details associated with providing special amenities and carriage safety, application of fares, and compliance with the requirements of state authorities.
Carriage of passengers with disabilities
Disabled Passengers are provided with specially assigned seats on the Airline flights. In the carriage of a Disabled Person, a medical assessment report signed by the doctor must be submitted to the Airline prior to the commencement of flight (48 hours prior to departure, at minimum). Such medical assessment report shall include permit for the Disabled Person’s carriage on the aircraft, as well as requirements for the terms and conditions of carriage.
Maximum number of disabled passengers carried by the Airline shall be defined on the basis of 4 disabled passengers per one flight attendant on a definite flight, and this number cannot exceed the number of passengers capable to provide them with assistance in emergency. Two critically ill passengers on stretcher (maximum) may be carried on one flight.
Disabled passengers who are prohibited to use oxygen cylinders according to medical indications, shall not be allowed to carriage.
Disabled passengers which need during their carriage extra oxygen according to medical indications, shall be allowed to carriage subject to prior approval of the Airline.
Critically ill passengers and stretcher passengers shall be accompanied by a person or a doctor (if condition/health of the patient requires medical care), who shall ensure care to the patient during the flight.
Stretcher passengers shall be provided with the following seats aboard the aircraft at the below indicated rates:
- in the event of one way travel from Baku as a stretcher passenger - 6 seats of economy class (1 seat 100 % collection of charges and fees, other 5 seats 75% payment of the rate of applicable (available) rate class); - in the event of travel in Baku on international flight as a stretcher passenger - 6 seats of economy class (1 seat 100 % collection of charges and fees, other 5 seats 150% payment of the rate of applicable (available) rate class;
- regardless booking class no refund permitted if tickets cancelled less than 60 minutes prior estimated departure time.
- The stretcher passengers are carried on the Airline aircrafts in economy class only.
Passenger in the wheelchair with reduced mobility shall be accompanied by a person providing care to such passenger during the flight, or such passenger shall be under the care of the Airline, subject to agreement with the Airline, and after filling out by the passenger of the written declaration for his/her carriage under the care of the Airline.
In the event if the Passenger’s age, physical or mental condition may cause deterioration in condition of his/her health during the flight or cause hazard to his/her life, carriage of such Passenger is not allowed unless medical assessment record signed by physician sealed with the stamp of the medical facility is provided.
Even if medical assessment report is available, the Airline is entitled to request the Passenger to fill out Declaration of Indemnification, that establishes responsibility for potential deterioration of his/her health condition which may occur during or after carriage by air, and which exempt the Airline from any liability of consequences thereof.
For sick and disabled passengers medical drugs, wheelchair, crutches shall be carried free of charge, and they are not included in the free Baggage allowance.
A person with mental disorders is allowed to carriage only if he/she is accompanied by a person with sufficient physical vigor and ready to take, if required, necessary actions as for the accompanying person.
Blind/deaf Passenger shall be carried with accompanying person or accompanying dog. When requested and approved by the Passenger, he/she may be carried without the accompanying person, assuming that the accompanying person will meet him/her at the arrival airport. Upon making reservation for blind/deaf Passenger, the Agent must notify the Airline thereof, so that necessary assistance could be provided to such Passenger at Check-in and conveyance to the aircraft.
A Blind or deaf Passenger may carry an accompanying dog in the passenger compartment at no extra charge, assuming presentation of a document proving that the dog is specially trained, and further assuming that the dog will wear leash and muzzle, and will be at the Passenger’s feet during the flight. The accompanying dog shall not be provided with a private seat.
The Airline is entitled to request the Passenger with accompanying dog to present a document proving the necessity for the Passenger to be accompanied by such dog.
For the purposes of flight safety, compliance with technical or operational requirements, the Carrier is entitled to limit the number of, or refuse carriage of Passenger with illness, or disabled Passenger on any of its flights, even if a qualified accompaniment is provided.
Carriage of Pregnant Women, Postpartum Women and Newborns
Carriage of a pregnant woman, a postpartum woman, or a newborn baby should be coordinated beforehand with the airline at the time of purchasing tickets and booking seats.
The pregnant woman is to determine herself the possibility of use of air transportation, and she should take into account the possible danger for her or her (newborn or to-be-born) baby’s health during the carriage, based on her or her baby’s health condition.
The following persons are not allowed to “Azerbaijan Airlines” CJSC flights:
- Pregnant women after the 32-nd week of pregnancy;
- Postpartum women during 7 days after giving birth.
Only the babies of more than 7 days old are accepted to “Azerbaijan Airlines” CJSC flights in the prescribed manner – the baby is to be attended by the mother, father or another passenger taking responsibility for the baby.
The rules of issuing documents for pregnant women, postpartum women and newborn babies:
Based on the information provided verbally by the pregnant passenger during check-in in case of the period of passenger's pregnancy is up to 26 weeks, the passenger must personally complete and sign a declaration releasing the airline from liability during the carriage of pregnant women. In this case, a certificate from the attending physician about pregnancy and health status is not required.
If the period of a passenger's pregnancy declared as from 26 to 32 weeks (inclufding 32 weeks), the passenger must personally complete and sign the above mentioned declaration for the release of airline from liability for the carriage of pregnant women and also provide a certificate of pregnancy and health status.
Such certificate should be issued in a medical treatment facility and approved by stamp of attending physician (practicing physician) of the passenger. The certificate must indicate information about the term of pregnancy, its form (monocyesis or multicyesis), the nature of its flowing (normal, complex) and the absence of pathologies of pregnancy, the risk of miscarriage or premature birth which would not allow the woman to be transported by air.
For a newborn baby’s transportation the birth certificate (maternity hospital certificate) should be submitted. For a baby over 7 days old the certificate about his/her health condition is not required.
The carrier accepts to transport the pregnant woman, postpartum woman, newborn baby to the first destination point (to the point where “AZAL” is the operator), and does not take responsibility for the other operator’s refusal to transport them. The carrier never takes responsibility for worsening of health of a pregnant woman, a postpartum woman, a newborn baby and for any undesirable negative situations arising during, or after the flight. The present transportation rules are used during the issuance of air transportation (when flying back to Azerbaijan – on board aircraft or in the “Azerbaijan Airlines” CJSC representatives in foreign countries).
Carriage of Children
During ticket issuance and Check-in procedures for a child, a document proving the age of the child must be presented. The age of the Child shall be considered as of the date of carriage commencement from the initial point of departure identified in the carriage document. The Airline or its Agent must indicate age of the child in his/her passenger Ticket.
On International flights of the Airline, carriage of children under the age of 2 years shall be charged with 90 % discount of the rate of an adult Passenger the child is accompanied by.
Carriage of children at the age from 2 to 12 years shall be charged with discount of 25 % from available rate.
On Domestic flights of the Airline carriage of children shall be charged with discounts approved by relevant Decisions of Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic. On such flights the Passenger is allowed to carry only one child permitted for free of charge carriage in accordance with the Decision of the Cabinet of Ministers of Azerbaijan Republic, without providing to the child his/her own seat.
In the international flights of the Airline, Passenger is entitled to carry one child under the age of 2 with him without providing a separate seat with mandatory issuance of an air ticket. Other children under the age of 2 accompained by the passenger shall be carried with the 25% discount from the price applied for adult passangers’ ticket, and they will be provided with separate seats. Herewith free baggage allowance at the established standard shall be allowed. The child shall be carried abroad the aircraft on the seat near the adult passenger accompanying the child. It is forbidden to carry children in the seats near the emergency exits.
On all international flights of the Airline number of children at the age of under 2 on one flight is limited in the following way: it should not exceed 28 people on board Boeing-767, 25 people on board Boeing-757, 28 people on board Airbus 340, 20 people on board Airbus 319/320, 15 people on board Embraer 170/190.
In the event of discrepancy of real age of a child with his/her age specified in the Ticket, the Carrier shall be entitled to refuse his/her carriage, or to request issuance of a new Ticket using discount applicable for a real age of the child.
The child must be accompanied during travel by a Passenger at the age of 18 or over (parent, guardian or authorized person) capable to hold to hold a responsibility for him/her at all stages of a travel and legs of flight, including a change of planes/ flights, formalities at check-in, customs and border clearance, etc. When leaving the country citizens of Azerbaijan Republic under age 18 require the permission of the parents/ guardians or their legal representatives. In all the above cases, the permission must be notarized.
Children under the age of 5 years that are not accompanied by a parent, guardian or their authorized person shall not be carried on the flight of the Airline.
Unless otherwise provided by applicable laws of the country of destination/transit/transfer, a child between the ages of 5 and 14 may be allowed for carriage under the responsibility of the Airline on direct own flights of Airlines and transfer flights (except flights operated by several successive carriers). Children aged 14 to 18 years, at the request of a parent or guardian, may be allowed for carriage as unaccompanied children.
Unaccompanied minors shall be accepted for carriage on the flights of the Airline provided the fulfillment of the following requirements:
- - parents/guardians or their legal representatives have filled out and signed Declaration on the Carriage of Unaccompanied Child;
- - all required documents have been presented for submitting them to relevant authorities;
- - parent/guardians or their legal representatives have paid carriage of the child in accordance with Item 12.3.11. of these Regulations;
- - parents/guardians or their legal representatives take the child at the airport on time for Check-in and passing all required formalities, and stay at the airport until the flight departure;
- - parents/guardians or their legal representatives arrive to the airport to meet the child by actual time of flight arrival;
- - transfer does not involve transportation to another air terminal/airport;
- - transfer does not involve overnight stop in the transfer point;
- - reservation is confirmed at the airport of transfer;
- - parents/guardians or their legal representatives must indemnify all expenses for return carriage (food, hotel accommodation, ticket, etc.) in the event if parents/guardians or their legal representatives don’t meet the child carried under the responsibility of the Airline, upon his/her arrival, or if personal information of meeting party is not identical with the information identified in the Declaration on Carriage of Unaccompanied Child.
- - On international flights unaccompanied children should have health certificate in the established form.
Unless otherwise provided for by applicable laws of the country of destination / transit/ transfer, a child at the age of 5 to 14 years may be allowed for carriage under the responsibility of the Airline on own flight of the Airline and transfer flights, with the exception of flights performed by several subsequent Carriers. Child at the age of 5 to 14 years cannot travel without adult passenger (18 years and older). By the request from parents, child at the age of 14 to 18 years also can be accepted to carriage under unaccompanied minor conditions.
On International flights of the Airline, carriage of unaccompanied minors at the age of 5 to 12 years shall be charged with CHD discount of the fare of an adult Passenger from any available class. Carriage of unaccompanied minors at the age of 12 to 14 years on all flights of the Airline can be charged at the fare of adult passenger in any available class.
Unaccompanied minors aged between 5 and 14 years with no information on booking reference can be accepted for carriage during the registration only after informing all interested parties and adding appropriate UMNR information to the booking reference (and / or registration system).
Unaccompanied child shall be provided with his/her own seat in the passenger cabin, and he/she is allowed free of charge carriage of Baggage in accordance with Procedures established for appropriate class of service.
Children aged 5-14 traveling on the flights at the Airline must be accompanied by a Passenger (parents, legal guardians or trustees) over the age of 18 and should be seated in the same cabin as the Responsible accompanying adult. If a child and an adult passenger travel in different cabins of the aircraft, the child is accepted for carriage in accordance with the rules of UM service.
Children aged under 5 and Responsible Accompanying Passenger (parents, legal guardians or trustees) over the age of 18 should be assigned adjacent seats in the same cabin of aircraft or at a distance of no more than one row of seats from each other.
Carriage of groups
The Airline has developed and operates a program for carriage of groups consisting of passengers above 2 years of age: not less than 10 people in economy class, and not less than 6 people in business class booked on the same flights of Azerbaijan Airlines, the same dates for the entire flight itinerary.
- A team consisting of at least 10 passengers with a multimodal carriage (business + economy) is also considered as a group.
A Group carriage should be booked for the same flights of the Airline, same dates on the entire round trip flight itinerary.
One way transportation of passengers cannot be considered as a group.
In order to consider the possibility of booking and calculating the cost of group carriage, Customer should make a request in writing using a standard form through the official web site of the Airline azal.az.
Booking of group carriage should be completed no later than 14 days prior to the first proposed date of travel.
Carriage, the application for which was received by the Airline less than seven (7) calendar days prior to the proposed first date of departure, from the date when the Airline confirms receipt of the Customer’s application is considered individually. In this case the Airline reserves the right to use individual conditions of group carriage, not provided for in these rules.
Request for any change in the application should be received solely in writing directly from the customer.
In case of cancellation of group carriage at least 14 calendar days prior to the proposed date of departure, the Airline shall impose a penalty to the customer, the amount of which depends on the number of days before the expected date of departure.
In case of cancellation of booked group carriage after commencement of carriage (partial carriage), the amount paid will not be refundable, except for airport and other dues and fees.
Refunding of the value of single tickets within confirmed group carriage is prohibited, including airport and other dues and fees.
Carriage of passengers associated with tragic circumstances
Passengers who travel "under tragic circumstances" (death of closest relatives, support the coffin), may be accepted for carriage out of the queue. In this case, the Airline has a right to demand documents proving the existence of such circumstances.
Booking of the return flight for this category of passengers is made on general terms.
Carriage of passengers under conditions of unconfirmed booking ("STANDBY")
Issuance of tickets on conditions of unconfirmed booking ("STANDBY") by the Airline Agents is prohibited.
Passengers with "STAND-BY" tickets cannot be accepted for carriage in the prejudice of flight payload.
Passengers served on conditions of unconfirmed booking are checked-in at the airport, and accepted for carriage after check-in of passengers holding tickets for this flight with a confirmed booking (subject to availability of seats on the flight).
Passengers with the conditions of "STAND-BY" carriage are accepted for carriage by the priorities established by the Airline.
Carriage of Escorted and Unescorted Deportees
Escorted or unescorted deportees shall be accepted for carriage after the initial agreement with the Airline.
Before the carriage begins, the Airline’s representatives in the departure/transfer/destination point, and the aircraft commander should be given all information regarding the potentially dangerous Passengers who take such air flight compulsorily.
If there are no appropriate documents, or there are serious doubts that the deportees may endanger other passengers’ lives and health or damage flight security, the Airline shall have the right to renounce acceptance of the escorted or unescorted deportees according to the article 11.1 of the these Rules.
Service class of the deportees on board aircraft cannot be raised.
Passengers of this category are to be taken on board aircraft/off board aircraft separately from other passengers.
Such persons shall be taken on board aircraft before other passengers, and put off board aircraft after other passengers.
It is prohibited to give alcohol drinks to the passengers of this category, and to give them iron forks and knives while serving meals.
Passengers of this category are given seats in the tail part of the aircraft passenger cabin. When possible, one or more rows of empty seats shall kept between such potentially dangerous passengers and other passengers.
Potentially dangerous passengers shall not be accepted to flights with children groups and VIP persons.
Unescorted deportees are accepted to carriage by the Airline on the following conditions:
- If at least 24 hours prior to the flight the deporting state structure notified the Airline thereof, and presented sufficient information about the deportees (flight number, number of deportees, the reason of deportation, whether there are any persons among them who were brought to criminal liability in the past, whether there are mentally ill or contagious patients among them, and the list of the officers accompanying them);
- If all the documents necessary for acceptance to carriage are present.
Unescorted deportees are accepted to carriage by the Airline according to article 220.127.116.11. and on
the following conditions:
- In case the reservation on all the areas of the route has been confirmed;
- In case passing to another terminal or going to another airport during transfer has not been provided for;
- In case staying overnight at the transfer point has not been provided for, and transfer time is not less than 1 hour 20 minutes;
- In case a connection at the transfer point is not broken.
The number unescorted deportees on one flight is limited in the following way:
On Boeing-767 airplanes - not more than 8 people, on Boeing-757 – not more than 6 people, on Airbus-340 – not more than 8 people, on Airbus 319/320 – not more than 4 people, on Embraer 170/190 – not more than 2 people.
During the carriage of unescorted deported families, every passenger above 2 years of age is considered a separate person. During the deportation of families it is prohibited to separate them from each other. During the carriage of large deported families, number of non-conveyed deportees on one flight may exceed the maximum norm.
Conveyed deportees are accepted to carriage on the following conditions: - If the carriage was coordinated with the appropriate state authorities;
- If 24 hours prior to the carriage the Airline was notified of the date and route of the carriage, the convoy (escort) conditions, the security level of the escorted person/persons, and the list of the officers accompanying the deportee;
- If transfer carriage is not planned;
- If all the necessary documents for the acceptance to carriage are available.
Number of escorted deportees on a flight:
- on flight with at least 2 escorts – 1 person;
- on flight with at least 4 escorts – 2 persons;
- on flight with at least 5 escorts – 3 persons;
- on flight with at least 6 escorts – 4 persons;
- on flight with at least 7 escorts – 5 persons;
When carrying very dangerous persons, convoyed prisoners, only one person is accepted to the flight accompanied with at least 3 escorts (employees of structures fulfilling the functions of the police).
The requirements for providing flight safety during the carriage of prisoners are the same as the requirements for the carriage of escorted deportees.
Carriage of Passengers Who Are Refused Entry to the Territory of Any Country – Not Admitted Passengers (INAD)
Carriage of passengers who are refused entry to the territory of a foreign country and the Republic of Azerbaijan (INAD) is carried out in accordance with international law in the field of Civil Aviation.
For the passengers who are refused entry to the territory of a foreign country and/or the Republic of Azerbaijan due to unavailability of visa, expired passport, etc., "Act on the return" is drawn up.
Issuance of tickets to the passengers mentioned in Item 12.9.2. is done on the basis of the "Act on the return" in accordance with the Airline processes.
If state authorities oblige the Airline to return the Passenger who has been refused entry to the country of destination/transfer/transit to the departure point or to another location, then the Passenger or organization which commissioned him/her should pay all expenses incurred in connection with such carriage, including administrative monetary penalty, which is imposed on the Airline by the country.
In cases referred to in item 12.9.4. , the Airline has the right to direct for payment of appropriate tariff any amounts contributed to it by the Passenger or by the organization which registered the Passenger for unused carriage, or any other amounts paid by the Passenger or the organization that paid for the ticket, and being at the disposal of the Airline.
Carriage of passengers on charter flights
Passengers’ carriage by a charter flight is governed by the charter carriage agreement.
Tickets for charter flights are not valid till the customer pays the cost of the flight, or till corresponding credit agreement has been entered into between the Airline and the customer of the charter flight. Reimbursement and confirmation of booking on charter tickets are made solely by the customer of the charter flight under the terms of the charter flight agreement.
Tickets for charter flights shall be valid only for the date and the flight, which are specified on them. Depending on availability of seats on the flight, there may be changes in the dates of Passenger’s departure and return, provided that such changes are agreed between the Passenger and the customer of the charter flight.
Tickets for charter flights envisage limitation (or complete elimination) of Passenger’s right to change or cancel the booking. Charter tickets, according to which the tourist trip is paid for with all services (turnaround flight, transfer, accommodation, meals), may provide for additional conditions and limitations set by the customer of the charter flight.
Only employees of the Airline and their immediate family members (in case of service tickets and availability of empty seats on a flight) are accepted for flights on request (except for passengers of charter flights). In this case, carriage of the Airline’s employees and their immediate families should be agreed with the representative of the organization, which has ordered the flight.
Carriage of business class passengers
Business class passengers are checked-in at a separate desk and delivered to the aircraft after all the others, separately from economy class passengers, but no later than before VIPs boarding.
At the airport, business class passengers are offered a business lounge. A passenger is informed about this option when booking a ticket.
On board the aircraft, business class passengers are provided with seats in business class and receive special service.
On arrival, business class passengers disembark first, separately from the economy class passengers, but not before officials.
Carriage of transfer and transit passengers
When issuing a passenger ticket as a transit or transfer passenger, the Airline or its Agent must:
a) guarantee the booking and confirmation of booking of carriage for a Transfer passenger on the entire flight, which will allow a Passenger to timely reach the transfer airport for administrative formalities before the departure of his/her flight;
b) inform a Passenger about the procedures that he/she must perform in the transit/transfer airport for further carriage to his/her destination;
c) inform a Passenger about the requirements of government agencies in transit/transfer points in case of international carriage.
When connecting flight is in up to 24 hours, transfer baggage is checked-in till the point of destination or transfer depending on the capacity of the airport of departure/transfer and the requirements of state authorities at the transfer point and/or a Passenger’s will. If a Passenger has a connecting flight in more than 24 hours, then baggage is checked-in only to the point of transfer. A Transfer Passenger’s baggage subjected to customs control is accepted for carriage in accordance with the customs legislation of the Azerbaijan Republic and/or the customs laws of the country to, from or over which the carriage is performed.
Program for frequently flying Passengers «AZAL Miles»
AZAL-Miles is the frequent flyer programme of Azerbaijan Airlines
AZAL-Miles is a unique frequent flyer programme that rewards members with travel and status points.
Travel points can be earned by members whenever they travel on the flights Azerbaijan Airlines, and also when using the services of partners. Travel points are earned for every euro (€) of the base fare of the tickets (base fare - is the fare of the ticket excluding taxes and surcharges).
For every flight the passenger will earn a fixed amount of status points, the quantity of which depends on the direction of the flight and the class of service
For every flight the passenger will earn a fixed amount of status points, the quantity of which depends on the direction of the flight and the class of service.
Membership tiers of AZAL-Miles programme:
Classic status– is the first level of membership.
Classic members earn 1 travel point for every euro (1€) of the base fare of a ticket.
Classic members will be provided with virtual membership card (the card is not provided physically)
When 8000 status points are earned your status will be upgraded to Gold during the next membership year.
Gold members earn 2 travel points for every euro (€1) of the base fare of a ticket.
Gold members are issued with a personalized Gold membership card allowing them to get more benefits. Members need to earn the required number of status points during a membership year either to retain their Gold status or to be upgraded to the next status.
Gold members, who do not earn enough status points during their membership year, to retain their status will be downgraded to Classic status.
Gold members, who do not earn enough status points during their membership year, to retain their status will be downgraded to Classic status.
Platinum members earn 3 travel points for every euro (€1) of the base fare of a ticket.
Platinum members are issued with a personalized Platinum membership card allowing them to get more benefits. Members need to earn the required number of status points during two membership years in order to retain their Platinum status.
Platinum members, who do not earn enough status points, to retain their status will be downgraded to Gold status.
AZAL-Miles programme provides a unique and easy in use reward for all passengers.
All members are offered the opportunity to monitor their membership activity through a dedicated on-line membership account that is created when a customer joins the programme.
In addition, all members are encouraged to download the new AZAL mobile app on IOS and Android platforms from either Google Play Store or App Store.
13. Arrangements of carriers
These rules apply to carriage operations performed under commercial agreements between the Airline and other carriers (CODESHERING, INTERLINE), even if carriage is performed by any Carrier other than the one specified in the ticket. If there is any such commercial agreement, the Airline (service agent) should provide a Passenger at check-in with the information about the carrier which actually performs the carriage.
Passengers should be informed of the actual carrier before purchasing a ticket, at the registration, and in case of any failure condition during carriage.
If during the conclusion of the contract for carriage a passenger is provided with paid services, the Airline shall bear responsibility for the failure to provide such services, limited by the amount paid for such services.
The Airline is not responsible for the baggage (cargo) carriage services provided by third parties, with which the Airline has no commercial agreements. If the Airline itself provides and performs the carriage of Passenger’s baggage (cargo), these rules shall apply to such services. Services for carriage of baggage (cargo), which are provided by the Airline, shall be paid additionally by Passenger.
14. Successive carriers
In case of carriage performed by several successive Carriers, a Carrier which issued a ticket on the flights of other (successive) Carriers acts solely as an agent of these Carriers.
A Carrier which issued a ticket, or the first Carrier indicated in the ticket shall not be responsible for delay in carriage of a Passenger as for the parts of his/her route performed by any other carrier (carriers).
In case of destruction, loss, damage or delay in baggage, Passenger has the right to file a claim against the first or last Carrier, as well as against the Carrier, which performed the carriage during which the destruction, loss, damage or delay of baggage occurred.
If a Passenger cannot define the Carrier during carriage of which the destruction, loss, damage or delay in the carriage of baggage occurred, the liability shall be borne by the Carriers which participated in the carriage, all together or individually, to the extent of the fault of each of them.
15. Carriage of baggage
If the Airline accepts any items that do not meet the definition of "baggage" (given in these Rules) as baggage, carriage of such items shall also be subject to these Rules.
Items not accepted for carriage as baggage
Passengers should not include the following items in the baggage:
- Goods, objects, liquids and other substances that may create during carriage a significant risk to the health of passengers, flight safety, property of the Airline or other Passengers, including:
- explosives and ammunition, except as provided in subsection 15.11 of the Rules;
- Fireworks, flares, sparklers;
- gases (flammable, non-flammable, refrigerated and poisonous), except as provided subsection 15.13.1 of these Rules;
- Aerosols (except toiletries, permitted in limited quantities);
- Not properly packed wet baggage and liquids which can cause damage to the aircraft, passengers or other baggage and cargo (all non-solid foodstuffs and jellies (jam, honey, yoghurt and tomato paste etc.), liquid paints, oils, tools containing oils and fuels, frozen goods, live animals)
- The portable vehicles such as hoverboards, segways, airwheels, balance wheels, etc. that run on lithium-ion batteries are prohibited to be carried as accompanied by the passenger in the cabin or as checked baggage
- flammable liquids (gasoline, paints other than dissolving in water, solvents, liquid lighter refills);
- tools running on gasoline, including chain saws and lawn mowers;
- oxidizing, corrosive substances and materials, corrosive, including bleach, batteries (except for the battery on a wheelchair for transportation of patients, small batteries, CD-players, radio, etc.), mercury barometers;
- poisonous, harmful or irritating substances and infectious substances;
- radioactive materials, except radioisotope cardiac muscle stimulants, or other devices powered by lithium batteries, implanted into the human body, or radioactive pharmaceuticals contained in the human body as a result of treatment;
- magnets and magnet containing items;
- Other items and substances that are defined as prohibited on passenger aircrafts in the "Technical
Instructions for the Safe Transportation of Dangerous Goods by Air", ICAO, Doc 9284/905 and the "Regulations for the Carriage of Dangerous Goods by Air", approved by the Cabinet of Ministers of the
Azerbaijan Republic as of 13.12.2000 № 220;
- Goods and items, transportation of which is prohibited by applicable laws and / or legislation of any country to/from or through which the carriage will be performed;
- Goods not suitable for transportation by their nature, weight, size, shape or smell;
Ammunition, firearms and edged weapons, including antique firearms, knives, cutting and piercing items will be accepted for carriage in accordance with paragraph 15.11. and 15.14.
Passengers traveling on USA-bound flights are strictly prohibited from carrying torch lighters in their cabin baggage or on their person.
The following rules should be observed in order to provide flight safety:
Things which Passengers are strictly forbidden to carry in their baggage:
- Radioactive materials
- Toxic and infectious substances
- Corrosive materials
Things which are allowed to be checked in the baggage, but strictly forbidden to be carried in cabin.
- Cold weapons
- Toilet articles: perfumes, sprays
- Matches, lighters
Taking dangerous things aboard is illegal, and the persons breaking the rules may be accused and fined.
Right to refuse to accept baggage for carriage
In the event of the following your baggage will not be accepted on board the flight:
- Your baggage is liable to cause damage to the aircraft, passengers or other baggage and cargo,
- Your baggage is not packaged in a way that facilitates orderly and safe handling,
- Your baggage contains items whose transport is prohibited by laws and regulations in any of the states of departure, destination or overflight,
- Due to non-payment by a Passenger of Airline established fares and charges for the carriage of excessive baggage
- Your baggage is of dimensions exceeding size limits,
- Any piece of baggage exceeds 32 kg,
- Your baggage contains prohibited hazardous substances
- Due to non-payment by a Passenger of Airline established fares and charges for the carriage of excessive baggage. The Airline is not obliged to take control and be responsible for goods or items, which are denied carriage as baggage.
Right to inspect passengers and baggage
In order to ensure flight safety and to identify the items referred to in items 15.1.1 and 15.1.2 of this section, the Airline has a right to require a Passenger to pass a personal inspection, which is performed by the divisions of the Airline, airport and other competent state authorities, and to provide baggage for inspection, exercise X-ray or other scanning of a Passenger or his/her baggage, and has a right to inspect or arrange inspection of baggage in Passenger’s absence. If a Passenger does not wish to comply with such requirement, the Airline may refuse to carry him/her (baggage). The Airline is not liable for any damage caused to a Passenger or to his/her baggage at the X-ray or other scanning, except in cases of negligence by the Airline.
On an aircraft in flight (i.e. from the moment of closing the outer doors after loading until the moment when any door is opened for unloading), hand baggage and Passenger control may be held by decision of the aircraft commander, regardless of Passenger’s consent.
Passenger must provide for measuring and weighting all the items carried by him/her.
After checking-in of baggage, responsibility for its safekeeping and carriage passes to the Airline, as evidenced by record in the ticket on the number of pieces and weight of the accepted baggage, and giving to a Passenger of a coupon of the baggage identification tag. If the ticket does not contain any record on the weight of the checked-in baggage, it is considered that the full weight of the checked-in baggage does not exceed the free baggage allowance.
The Airline has the right to refuse to accept baggage as checked-in, if it is not properly packed in suitcases with locks or other suitable containers to ensure safe carriage of baggage and its treatment by mechanical means for baggage handling.
The Airline must take measures to carry checked-in baggage on the same aircraft, which is carrying a Passenger, and must do so if applicable laws require Passenger’s presence during customs procedures for the baggage check-in. If the carriage of checked-in baggage is performed on another aircraft, the Airline is obliged to take measures in order to deliver the baggage to the destination in the shortest possible time.
To ensure the safety of baggage the Airline recommends:
- to use high-quality travel bags with secure locks;
- when using cloth suitcases or bags, apply padlocks to lock zippers, cords or straps for tying baggage to restrain access to content by unauthorized persons;
- to remove old tags after each flight;
- to use tags with names and addresses outside of the baggage;
- for visual identification of baggage, to mark it with tape or other individual mark.
The Airline does not recommend to include the following in checkedin baggage:
- - Fragile, breakable and perishable items;
- - Money;
- - Keys;
- - Jewelry and articles of precious metals and silver;
- - Natural fur;
- - Electronic equipment;
- - Computer equipment, computer components, devices, software;
- - Audio and video equipment, photo and cinema equipment, accessory items;
- - Glasses, binoculars and other optical instruments;
- - Technical, medical and other documentation;
- - Business and personal documents;
- - Security papers and valuables;
- - Production equipment and samples/templates;
- - Video/audio tapes, CDs, floppy disks and other storage media;
- - Medicines, equipment;
- - Photos, antiques;
- - Items and things that cannot be replaced;
- - Liquids, perfumes, alcoholic beverages;
- - Tools.
A Passenger will be denied access to checked-in baggage from the time of loading of baggage on the aircraft and up to the time of its delivery in the destination/transfer point.
Weight of one piece of baggage may not exceed 32 kg. Baggage with excessive weight is accepted for carriage only as a cargo in accordance with the Airline’s Rules of air cargo transportation.
Free baggage allowance
In accordance with the Airline established standards of free baggage allowance, or norms of carriage of temporary nature, a Passenger has the right to carry a certain amount of baggage at no additional cost.
Depending on the route and class of service such amount is determined by a combination of the characteristics of weight, size and number of pieces (piece concept) or by weight characteristics of baggage (weight concept).
For the maximum number of baggage allowed to be carried at no additional cost, please contact:
- Airline's website: www.azal.az;
- the point of sale of the air carrier.
Bags (briefcases, backpacks) with dimensions of no more than 30x35x10 cm weighing no more than 10 kg not containing goods or products with a pungent odor, liquids (gels) and other items in improper packaging which can lead to pollution, changes in physical properties, or damages to surrounding surfaces are allowed for transportation in the cabin of an aircraft. Taking into account the above and in order to ensure flight safety, the carriage of specific bags, covers and cases (for cameras, laptop computers, musical instruments, etc.) in the cabin of an aircraft is carried out in accordance with their purpose.
In international (transatlantic) carriage performed successively in the areas of international and domestic airlines, or vice versa, Passengers have the right to carry baggage on the segment of domestic airline by the norm of free baggage allowance of the corresponding class of service on the international line.
In case of a voluntary change of the carriage route or class of service by a Passenger, he/she has the right of free baggage carriage allowance at the norm established for the route or class of service for new section of the carriage.
In case of involuntary change of the route or class of service Passengers are entitled to free carriage of such amount of baggage, that was permitted for the route and class of service initially paid.
Free baggage allowance on charter flights is determined by agreement on the implementation of the charter transportation.
If an additional seat for carriage of baggage in the passenger cabin of an aircraft is needed, a separate passenger ticket or correspondent paid baggage ticket is issued.
The calculation is done based on number of pieces depending on route, service class, type of aircraft, as well as the cost of excess baggage.
Free carriage of checked baggage is performed by the following standards:
VIP club - 3 pieces 32 kg each
Comfort Club - 2 baggage units 32 kg each
Business class – 2 baggage units 32 kg each
Economy class – 1 baggage unit 23 kg.
The sum of three dimensions of the baggage (H x W x D) should not exceed 158 cm. When a piece of baggage exceeds the standard measure or weight, an additional payment is charged for it.
Additional payment for exceeding the baggage allowance is charged for baggage in the allowed norm limitation (1-2 pcs) as well as for additional pieces of baggage.
Baggage with weight above 32 kg is checked in and accepted for carriage only as cargo.
In exceptional cases, when it is impossible to transport baggage with weight above 32 kg in an alternative way, transportation of such baggage is allowed on the condition that 100 Euro payment is charged for each 23 kg exceeding the allowance.
Children under 2 years of age travelling at the lap of the parents are entitled to free carriage of one piece of baggage weighting no more than 10 kg, and the size of the sum of three dimensions not exceeding 115 cm. For children aged from 2 to 12 years, baggage allowance is equal to the allowance of carriage of an adult passenger.
One piece lightweight collapsible baby strollers and wheelchairs are strictly carried in the baggage compartment, and are accepted for carriage in excess of the free baggage allowance.
Weight concept applies to transportation of baggage on some flights of the Airline, according to the written instruction of the Management. The calculation is based on the weight of Passenger’s baggage.
Free baggage allowance:
For business class - 40 kg
For economy class - 20 kg
Baggage allowance for domestic flights:
Business class - 32 kg
Economy class -23 kg
Norms of carriage of temporary nature
Based on commercial considerations or agreements between the Airline and other carriers, the Airline may change the norms of free carriage of baggage.
Temporarily applicable regulations are enacted and repealed by written instructions or orders of the Airline.
Transportation of sports equipment
One set of golfing kit and/ or skiing equipment* irrespective of its weight and size are carried free of charge in addition to the stipulated allowance. For all subsequent equipment and for the excess of their size and weight the corresponding charge shall apply.
Carriage of golf kit and or skiing equipment in a passenger cabin of aircraft is prohibited and must be properly packed and carried in a cargo holds.
*A set of skiing gear includes a pair of skis and a pair of ski poles, and/or a snowboard with all necessary equipment (including but not limited to boots, glasses and helmet).
All other sporting equipment and outfit included in the free baggage allowance, and in case of exceeding the norm (as well as size and weight) the excess baggage fee shall apply.
Transportation of sports equipment (except for tennis rackets and set for rhythmic gymnastics) in the passenger cabin of an aircraft is strictly prohibited, it is subject to carriage in baggage hold being properly packaged.
Bicycle (single, no engine) is accepted for carriage in disassembled form (front wheel removed, handlebar is turned 90 degrees in relation to the wheel, pedals removed) in a cover or hard package (box).
Carriage of sports equipment must be pre-requested and booked.
Declaration of baggage value
Passengers have the right to declare the value of their checked baggage.
For declaring the value of the baggage fee is charged which set by the Airline. Declared value can not exceed the actual value of baggage.
The value of checked-in baggage can be declared for each piece separately. The fee for the declared value of checked-in baggage is charged at the point where this value is declared, and is certified by paid baggage receipt. When a Passenger declares the value of his/her checked-in baggage, the Airline has the right to require submission of a passenger’s baggage for inspection, and in case of apparent discrepancy between the amount of declared value and the actual value of its contents, to determine its actual value. In case of disagreement between the Airline’s and Passenger’s evaluations, the Passenger must provide the proof of the value of checked-in baggage (invoice, price list, check or other document) with the value declared. In the absence of sufficient evidence of the amount of declared value, the Airline has a right to refuse to carry the baggage with the value declared in the amount specified by the passenger.
All items accepted for carriage as baggage with the value declared, must be in good, sturdy packaging. Weight and dimensions of valuable baggage must not exceed the established norms. The Airline has the right to refuse to accept checked-in baggage with the value declared, if the packing of baggage is recognized as not meeting the requirements of these Rules, or if the baggage requires special precautions during carriage.
Special baggage that is not treated under the rules of FBA (Free Baggage Allowance)
Rules of FBA (Free Baggage Allowance) do not cover large-size and non-standard baggage that differs in its size and weight from commonly carried baggage, including:
- sporting equipment, except the one pointed in section 15.5.5 of these Rules.
- musical instruments with overall dimensions of no more than 115 cm;
- audio- and video equipment;
- TV sets, refrigerators;
- packed baggage with dimensions and weight exceeding norms of FBA;
- live animals;
- weapon and ammunition;
Transportation of special baggage pointed in paragraph 15.7.1. should be agreed with the Airline, and should be paid for according to stipulated rates, regardless of the weight of other baggage carried by a Passenger.
Bicycle (one-seated, no engine) is transported in non-assembled condition (front wheel is taken off, handle bar is turned to the wheel under 90 degrees, pedals are taken off) in special cover or in the firm package (box).
Non-standard baggage except live animal and musical instruments is transported only in the cargo compartment of the aircraft.
Live animals are transported only according to the section 15.15 of these Regulations.
Charged (Excess) baggage
A Passenger or a group of passengers may inform (upon booking air-tickets for flight, or upon air-ticket purchase) the Airline about the excess baggage, and pay for its transportation in advance. Information regarding such kind of payment should be presented by the Airline (its Agent).
A Passenger should pay for baggage exceeding the maximum norms of FBA stated by the Airline according to the rates valid on the date of bill for paid baggage, for all transportations to destination point or stopover point (or transfer point).
When applying the weight concept, excess weight of general baggage will be charged except special baggage pieces that are not covered by Free Baggage Allowance (paragraph 15.7 of these Rules).
When applying piece concept, excess number of pieces, excess dimensions and weight of each piece (weight of pieces is not summed up) is charged, except special baggage pieces that are not covered by Free Baggage Allowance (paragraph 15.7 of these Rules).
In case Passengers baggage at departure point is less than booked and paid one, the exceeding amount will be paid back to the Passenger by the Airline upon his/her written notice to the Airline and provision of supporting documents related to the actually transported baggage.
In case the baggage exceeds the booked and paid amount on the departure point, it will be accepted for transportation only upon additional payment.
In case payload of aircraft is exceeded, or there is no free tonnage, the Airline is entitled to transport the baggage by its next flight or the flight of other carrier with prior notification to Passenger.
In case of the baggage increase on the stopover or transfer point, Passenger shall be charged for the additional baggage.
In case the baggage was not booked beforehand, the Airline has the right to limit the acceptance of excess baggage, or to refuse carriage of the passenger’s baggage.
Two or more Passengers departing as group to a destination point by one flight are not allowed to check in baggage together, and the combined baggage allowance that equals to the sum of FBA for each Passenger is not applied in such cases. FBA is applied for each Passenger individually.
Baggage requiring special carriage conditions
Baggage requiring special transportation conditions (such as articles of value, fragile articles) may be accepted for transportation in passenger cabin of aircraft, if:
- Passengers have permission of the Airline;
- the baggage has passed air safety control.
The baggage requiring special transportation conditions and transported in the passenger cabin of aircraft should be checked in, and should be provided with boarding pass. Passenger shall be responsible for its consistency and safety.
The baggage transported in the passenger cabin of aircraft should be packed so that to avoid any damages to cabin equipment of aircraft during the transportation.
Transportation of weapons and ammunitions.
Transportation of any weapon and ammunitions on the aircraft is prohibited, except:
- rifled army fire arms and its ammunitions;
- customized fire arms and its ammunitions;
- drained of its contents rifle, training gun, outdated rifle, sporting gun, hunting gun, combined and smooth-bore gun and ammunitions to them:
- pneumatic weapon and its ammunitions;
- cold steel and cold small arms (dirks, daggers, sabers, rapiers, bayonets, maces, hunting knives, bowie knives, knife-bayonets, arbalests);
- fake weapons;
- gas guns.
Gas gun shells, shells with explosive charge or incendiary charge will not be accepted by Airline for transportation on aircraft.
Weapons and ammunitions allowed for transportation will be accepted only from individuals – Airline Passengers who hold special permits confirmed by appropriated authorities to own, export and import these weapons and ammunitions. Procedures of transportation of weapons and ammunitions by legal entities are subject to Airline’s Rules of cargo transportation.
Weapons and ammunitions allowed for transportation are carried on direct (transit) flights of the Airline to/from the airports, where the Airline is represented, in the registered baggage according to the Airline procedures. Guns and ammunitions of authorized persons performing security and police functions during their official duties are transported on direct, transit and transfer flights of the Airline according to paragraph 15.11.8 of these Rules.
For the transportation period all weapons and ammunitions shall be withdrawn from the Passenger, and will be transported in cargo compartment of aircraft. Exception will be made for authorized personnel of law bodies performing their official duties.
Passengers are strictly prohibited to carry any weapons or ammunitions to passenger cabin of aircraft, including souvenirs or other imitations and toys.
Transportation of weapon in passenger cabin of aircraft is allowed only for authorized personnel of law bodies performing their official duties in cases stipulated by governing law, and provided that they have all necessary documents.
Weapons are accepted for transportation only in discharged condition with separated ammunition.
Withdrawn cold steel, short-barreled weapon and ammunitions are transported only being packed in special packages in equipped metal container in cargo compartment of aircraft; during the flight and the stop in the transit airport the container key will be kept by aircraft crew.
Withdrawn not disassembled weapon of over 80 cm length is transported in cargo compartment of aircraft in cases, special containers, boxes, etc. presented by the weapon owners and equipped with safe locks.
Transportation of withdrawn weapon in cockpit or in passenger cabin and return of weapons to a Passenger on the aircraft board or the ramp is strictly prohibited.
Passengers may carry no more than 5 kg of ammunitions (gross weight) for the weapons permitted to transportation.
It is prohibited to combine norms of weapon transportation for several Passengers.
Ammunitions carried by several Passengers cannot be combined in one or several baggage pieces.
Weapons and / or ammunitions accepted for transportation are passed to the Passenger by Airport Security personnel at the destination point in the determined place and in the presence of Airline
Unchecked baggage (hand luggage)
Unchecked baggage is a baggage carried by a passenger at the aircraft cabin with a weight limit of maximum 10 kg per 1 piece and maximum allowed dimensions sum of 118 cm (55х40х23 cm). Unchecked baggage allowance on flight of the Airline flights are:
- VIP club - 2 pieces
- Comfort Club – 2 pieces
- For business class passengers - 2 pieces
- Economy class passengers – 1 piece
The information about the weight of carrying allowable hand baggage in some directions can be found from the following addresses:
- at the Airline’s website (www.azal.az);
- at Airline’s sales points.
Hand luggage weight is not included in the Free Baggage Allowance (FBA).
Hand luggage should take one piece. Hand luggage should be placed at the overhead compartment, or under the front seat.
On registration Passenger must provide all baggage to be transported for weighting, except for the items that can be needed on boarding, landing or during flight mentioned at 18.104.22.168.
Items that do not correspond to Airline requirements of hand luggage in their dimensions and weight, or cannot be transported in the passenger cabin of aircraft, will be considered and handled as checked baggage.
Passengers are fully responsible for their unchecked baggage.
Item and substances accepted for transportation in limited quantity
Below mentioned dangerous goods are allowed to be transported in limited quantity as baggage with the Airline’s consent, and in the absence of prohibition of the country to/from/via which the transportation is to be performed:
- dry ice for frosting transported perishable goods, less than 2 kg, in the package that must permit the release of carbon dioxide gas, and must be marked with additional tag “Dry ice” or “Firm carbon dioxide” (in checked-in baggage)
- small cylinders with oxygen gas or oxygen for personal use in medical purposes;
- ammunitions safely packed in the boxes, except shells with explosive and incendiary charges in the quantity mentioned in paragraph 15.11.13 of these Rules (in checked baggage);
- wheelchair for transportation of passengers with reduced mobility. and other mobility devices for personal use working by means of rechargeable battery, equipped with non-spillable battery (provided that battery terminals is protected against short circuits, and battery is securely attached to wheelchair or mobility device), or with spillable battery (in checked-in baggage);
- mercury barometer or thermometer transported by the representative of government weather bureau or similar official body (in checked-in baggage);
- gas cylinder containing nonflammable gas inserted into self-righting life-jacket containing carbon dioxide, no more than two small cylinders, plus no more than two spare charges for each passenger (in checked-in baggage);
- heat producing articles such as underwater torches/diving lamps and soldering equipment for personal use (in checked-in baggage).
When carrying Lithium Ion batteries following must be observed at all times.
Watt-Hour rating (Wh)
Yes (no Limit)
Yes (Max 2)
> 160 Wh
Must be presented and carried as Cargo in accordance with the IATA Dangerous Goods Regulations.
Below mentioned dangerous goods are allowed to be transported in limited quantity as baggage without the Airline’s consent, in the absence of prohibition of the country to/from/via which the transportation is to be performed:
- alcoholic beverages no more than 70 degrees of proof in and not exceeding 5 litres with total net quantity of prefabricated package of 5 litres per passenger (in checked-in baggage);
- non-radioactive medicinal or toilet articles (hair sprays, colognes, perfumes, medicine containing alcohol). The total net weight of all such articles carried by each Passenger must not exceed 2 kg or 2 litres per passenger, net weight of each single item should not exceed 0.5 kg or 0.5 litres (in checked-in baggage);
- hair curlers containing hydrocarbon gas having safe cover of heating element without spare cylinder for personal use; not more than 1 set of hair curlers per each passenger (in checked-in baggage);
- matches or a cigarette lighter without spare unit which does not contain unabsorbed liquid fuel, for personal use (in checked-in baggage);
- portable cylinders with carbon dioxide for operation of mechanical limbs, also portable spare cylinders, if required to ensure an adequate supply for the duration of the journey (in checked-in baggage);
- radio-isotopic cardiac pacemakers or other devices, including devices that are powered by lithium batteries implanted into a person, or radio-pharmaceuticals contained within the body of a person as a result of medical treatment;
- small medical or clinical thermometers, for personal use, containing mercury must be carried in a protective case, only one per passenger is allowed.
Transportation of piercing and cutting items
For aviation security purposes all articles that may be dangerous for flight safety are prohibited for transportation in passenger cabin of aircraft as carry-on baggage of Passengers.
It is prohibited to include piercing and cutting items, metallic tableware, working pieces including knitting tools, sporting equipment, syringes including single-use syringes (Passengers that need injections during the flight should present appropriate medical certificate), manicure accessories, items that actually imitate weapon, other articles that usually are not carried by Passengers (bicycle chain, truncheons, etc.) in carry-on baggage.
All piercing, cutting and blunt tools that can inflict bodily injury should be packed and put into baggage after registration and transported separately from the Passengers in cargo compartment of aircraft (in checked-in baggage).
All piercing, cutting articles and similar items found during check-up of hold luggage and personal inspection of the Passenger will be withdrawn for safety reasons. The Airline is not responsible, and will not compensate the losses caused by damage or loss of such articles to Passengers, if these articles were not registered as checked-in baggage.
Carriage of live animals
Transportation of live animals is carried out only with the Airline’s consent upon air-ticket booking or purchase. When booking a flight. Passengers should notify the Airline about the animal transportation at the latest 24 hours before the departure time.
Live animals are accepted for transportation under the following conditions:
- Transportation does not contradict requirement of the country from/to or via which the transportation is to be performed (TIM/TIMATIC;ІАТА regulations);
- Passenger provides necessary certificates, permits and other documents that are required by veterinary services of any country from/to or via which the transportation is to be performed
- Live animals are healthy, clean, quiet and not springing;
- Live animals are transported in appropriate safely closed containers that comply with relevant IATA regulations for appropriate animal type;
- Passenger paid for animal transportation;
- Passenger is fully responsible for live animal/animals intended to transport, and the Passenger has fill in the Declaration of responsibility for live animal/animals transportation.
In case any of provisions of paragraph 22.214.171.124. is not be carried out, the Airline is entitled to reject the transportation of live animal/animals upon Passenger’s registration, even if the prior booking of such transportation is available.
Transportation of livestock (horses, cows, sheep, goats, donkeys, mules, etc.) is prohibited on the flights of the Airline.
Transportation of doves is prohibited on the flights of the Airline.
Transportation of live animals in aircraft cabin, or animals accepted for transportation in cargo compartment of aircraft is to be paid for according to Airline tariffs. In these cases, weight of the live animal will be indicated along with the container and food for the live animal/animals required during flight.
Transportation cost for live animals will be charged from Passenger, regardless of the availability of other baggage items.
Place for live animal/animals transportation container determined based on its total weight, dimensions of container and presence of other live animals already accepted for the transportation in passenger cabin.
The carrier is released from responsibility for any injury, loss, delay of delivery, illness or death of the animals during the transportation, or in case authorized bodies reject to import or transit live animals.
Due to international aviation regulations, the carriage of some pets on our aircrafts is prohibited. Caucasian shepherd dogs, Central Asian Shepherd Dogs, Pit bull terriers, American pit bull terriers, bull terriers, American Staffordshire terriers, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino, Brazilian mastiffs, Rottweilers, Staffordshire bull terriers, Spanish mastiffs, Bordeaux mastiffs, Roman fighting dogs, mastiffs, Tibetan mastiffs, Dobermans, American bulldogs, Neapolitan mastiffs, and other similar dangerous dogs are not allowed on the aircraft. This rule does not apply to puppies less than 16 weeks of age
Only animals of the same breed and get used to one another can be carried in the same cage or container. It is possible to carry two birds, two cats or two dogs get used to each other in the same cage or container.
The carriage of puppies and kittens aged under 16 weeks or which are still breastfeeding, and mothers which are still breastfeeding on the flights to the USA is prohibited
Emotional Support Dogs (ESAN) are accepted for emotional support on the flights from Azerbaijan to United States and from the United States to Azerbaijan in accordance with the US D.O.T regulations. ESAN dogs are animals that provide psychological and emotional support to persons with disabilities. ESAN dogs are accepted on the flight free of charge.
01. Passengers traveling with an Emotional Support Dog (ESAN) due to physical or psychological disability are required to provide related documents and obtain a booking confirmation at least 48 hours before departure.
02. Emotional Support Dogs (ESANs) are not considered as Recognized assistance dogs (SVANs).
03. ESAN dogs accepted only on flights from Azerbaijan to United States and from the United States to Azerbaijan. During transfer flights preceding or following these routes, dogs are transported for a fee in special cages in passenger cabin or aircraft hold. The fee is charged at the initial departure point. Passengers having transfer flights before their Azerbaijan to United States and after United States to Azerbaijan flights are required to carry cages appropriate to the size of the dog being transported. Cage are accepted free of charge on the flights from Azerbaijan to United States and from the United States to Azerbaijan.
04. Requirements for travelling with ESAN dogs are as follows:
a) Passengers shall submit official documentation on a letterhead of a licensed mental health professional (e.g. a psychiatrist, psychologist, licensed clinical social worker, including a medical doctor specifically treating the passenger’s mental or emotional disability) and the said document must be issued within one year from the date the passenger planned his/her flight. This document shall contain the following information:
- Statement that the passenger has a DSM 4 or DSM 5 disability according to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders;
- Information on the passenger’s need for emotional support or psychiatric assistance animal for air travel and/or for activities carried out by him/her at the destination;
- Information stating that the individual providing assessment is a licensed mental health expert, and the passenger is under his/her professional care;
- The date and type of the mental health professional’s license issued by the state or other competent authorities;
- The report must be in English or translated into English.
05. On flights lasting 8 hours or longer, as a condition of permitting assistance animals to travel in the cabin, passengers using the ESAN dog are required to submit documentation stating that the animal won’t need to relieve itself or can do so in a way that doesn’t create a health or sanitation issue during flight. Acceptable documents;
- A written statement issued by a veterinarian
- A written statement including the procedures that passenger will be implementing to prevent the dog from having to relieve itself
- A signed statement with photographs or other illustrations of dog’s ability to relieve itself without posing a health or sanitation problem
- A letter of undertaking stating that in case of accidental relief of the dog, the contaminated area will be cleaned by the dog’s owner (please bring bags, napkins, wipes, etc with you)
07. If ESAN dog behaves aggressively during check-in and/or boarding, if it is not well-maintained and clean or too heavy and too big, or if the dog causes a safety hazard and/or in case the crew informs that the dog might cause interruption of services, such dog may not be accepted to the cabin. However, it may be accepted as an AVIH in accordance with the rules of transportation of pets and depending on the conditions of aircraft hold.
08. All damages that may arise during travel are under passenger’s responsibility.
09. ESAN dogs must be clean and seated in front of owner’s feet during flight. Also, the extension of dog's leash or harness should be attached to belt throughout the flight. It is strictly forbidden for ESAN dogs to sit on passenger seats. When traveling with ESAN dogs, you should definitely make available a mouthpiece as a precaution, in case of barking, bared teeth, etc.
10. We accept the empty cage for ESAN during check-in procedures in the US airports for passengers departing from the USA and having transfer flight in Azerbaijan. Cage shall be delivered at the boarding gate of transfer flight from Azerbaijan. After you place your dog in cage, we will transport your dog in the cabin or aircraft hold according to our regulations.
11. According to our regulations, the dogs of passengers arriving to Azerbaijan from other airports and having a connection flight to USA are accepted at the initial departure point in cages to be transported in passenger cabin or aircraft hold. When boarding the Azerbaijan-USA flight, dog's empty cage will be transported in the aircraft hold.
12. In accordance with safety requirements, the seat of a passenger traveling with ESAN dog can be changed.
Live animals in the cargo hold or as cargo not accepted for carriage on the “Azerbaijan Airlines” CJSC flights in the United Kingdom direction.
Transportation of live animals in passenger cabin of aircraft.
Small pets such as dogs, cats, songbirds can be accepted for transportation in cabin of aircraft, if the weight of the animal (including transport container) does not exceed 8 (eight) kilograms. Number of animals in one container is regulated according to the TIM/TIMATIC requirements of destination country and IATA regulations. Transfer transportation of live animals is subject to the regulations of departure/ transfer/arrival country, where the requirements for animal transportation are stricter.
Live pets are accepted for transportation in the cabin only accompanied by adult Passengers.
A maximum of 2 containers with live pets are allowed to be transported in each cabin of aircraft on Airline’s regular flights.
The container for transporting live animals in the passenger cabin of aircraft should not exceed 115cm in the sum of three dimensions, where the animal can stand upright, turn and lie down in a natural position.
During flight the container with live animal should be placed under the seat in front of the Passenger. The container with a live animal cannot be placed on the baggage shelves or on the separate passenger seat.
Containers must be resistant to leakage, animal’s running, scratching, chewing, and biting and be rigid enough to prevent the animal escaping through gaps.
Live animals being transported in the passenger cabin of aircraft must stay in containers throughout the flight. During the flight, it is not allowed to pick them up, open the container or let the animal out of it.
Guide dogs for the blind or deaf Passenger are transported inside the cabin without container or in the container that complies with IATA regulations in the cargo compartment free of charge.
We recommend to carry the cat breeds with respiratory problems such as Iranian cats, Himalayan cats and Burmese cats in the cabin in accordance with the rules, depending on weight limits.
We recommend to carry the dog breeds with respiratory problems such as Pekingese, pugs, Shar-pei, Shih Tzu, Japanese spaniels, Chow Chow, English toy spaniels, bulldogs, Boston terriers, boxers, Brussels griffons and Brussels mastiffs in the cabin in accordance with the rules, depending on weight limits.
Transportation of live animals in cargo compartment of aircraft
Any pets like dogs, cats, birds etc. can be accepted for transportation in cargo compartment. Number of animals in one container is determined by requirements of TIM/TIMATIC in destination country and IATA regulations. Herewith, total weight of such pets along with containers should not exceed 75 kg.
The container must in any case be large enough to ensure that the animal can stand up and has sufficient space to move, turn around, and the total sum of three dimensions should not exceed 203 cm.
Transportation of larger animals in cargo hold
Live animals weighing more than 75 kg along with container will be accepted for transportation as cargo, according to the Airline’s Rules on Transportation of Cargo.
Baggage of the Passengers whose departure was denied, and Passengers who did not show on the flight (no show)
Baggage of the Passengers who passed the registration but their departure was denied, and Passengers who did not show on the boarding should be discharged.
Handling, delivery and receipt of baggage
Passenger shall be responsible for collection of his/her baggage in the destination or the stop point. If Passenger did not receive his/her baggage within reasonable period after its arrival to destination point, transfer point or stop-over, the Airline is entitled to charge Passenger for baggage storage.
Baggage that is not received by Passenger shall be passed on to appropriate airport services. Storage term for such baggage is 6 months, after this period the baggage shall be used in accordance with the applicable procedures.
The owner of baggage receipt (baggage tag) is entitled to receive the baggage. The Airline is not obliged to check and determine rights of the owner of the baggage receipt or coupon of baggage tag for the receipt of baggage. The Airline is not responsible for the loss caused by refusal for such check-up.
If the person who claims for the baggage does not have baggage receipt or tear-off baggage tag coupon, the delivery of such baggage is permitted only upon submission of strong evidence that will confirm his/her entitlement to the baggage and submission of warranties to cover Airline losses related to delivery of this baggage.
In case of short delivery, loss, damage, delay in delivery of the baggage, as well as in cases of baggage delivery without any submitted baggage receipt (baggage tag), PIR (property irregularity report) shall be prepared immediately upon detection of irregularities before Passenger leaves the airport restricted zone; this report will be signed by the Airline representative and Passenger. Absence of the PIR cannot serve the reason to reject Passenger’s claims to the Airline concerning baggage transportation.
In case the baggage delivery to the destination point is delayed for more than 24 hours due to the Airline’s fault, the Airline should cover one-time interim costs for purchase of articles of prime necessity at the rate of 50 EUR (or its equivalent) (based on the documents confirming Passenger’s ID, air-ticket, tear-off baggage tag coupon and reference of baggage non-arrival – PIR). Persons being residents of the country will not be provided with such compensations.
Left, forgotten or misdirected baggage
Baggage that was left, forgotten or misdirected, and its delivery cost was paid according to appropriate baggage rates shall be redirected to the Passenger’s destination/stop-over or transfer point free of charge.
16. Carriage of Cargo
Carriage of cargo in passenger aircrafts of the Airline shall be performed according to their loading.
The Airline shall accept only cargo with such specifications and nature of package which can provide safe carriage. Besides that, some special kinds of cargo (perishable, hazardous things, domestic fowl etc.) as well as heavy-weight and small-size cargo which require special conditions during air transportation are accepted to carriage. Conditions in which cargo is transported should not change their chemical, physical, and other characteristics which may cause their damage, and make them more hazardous during the flight.
The size of cargo should be limited by the cargo door sizes and baggage-cargo compartments of aircraft. The mass of the carried cargo should not exceed the limit of commercial shipment of the used aircrafts.
Conclusion of contract for cargo carriage on the Airline’s flights is performed by the Airline’s cargo Agent.
Conditions of Acceptance of Cargo for Carriage
Cargo is accepted to carriage on the following conditions:
- the size of cargo should make it possible for the cargo to be easily loaded to/unloaded from the aircraft, placed and fixed in the baggage-cargo compartment;
- the freight forwarder should submit necessary documents stipulated by the current legislation and other normative documents in the field of civil aviation, as well as the documents established by these Rules and air carriage rules of the Airline;
- during the carriage, cargo should not endanger passengers, members of the aircraft, as well as baggage and other cargo carried along with it;
- cargo should be firmly fixed to the board, have perfect package and reliable fastening in order to be preserved during flight;
- there should be appropriate permission for the cargo to be brought to (taken from) the state’s territory or to be carried via its territory according to the country’s laws and regulations.
Perishable, hazardous cargo, domestic fowls and other special types of cargo are accepted to carriage in case such carriage is allowed by the legislation of the Azerbaijan Republic, and other countries, international documents in the field of civil aviation, and other normative documents, as well as these Rules.
The information about the carriage rules for different categories of cargo, the rules of their acceptance to carriage and documentation, information on the allowed sizes, as well as on cargo storages shall be given by the Airline’s cargo agent.
During the carriage of cargo requiring special conditions, the Forwarder should submit airway bill together with all documents pursuant to sanitary, quarantine and other rules for the carriage of the cargo. The Airline shall check the availability of these documents while receiving the cargo for carriage.
The Forwarder shall be responsible for the correctness of the information on the airway bill submitted by him/her. The Forwarder shall be liable for any damage caused to the Airline, or other person to whom the Airline is responsible, as a result of the information being not correct, precise, or full.
17. Flight Schedule
Departure (arrival) time and aircraft type indicated in the air ticket, flight schedule and other issued schedules of the Airline are not guaranteed, and are not considered mandatory term of transportation agreement. The Airline is entitled to change flight departure time with timely notice to Passenger. The Airline is entitled to change aircraft type without prior notice to Passenger.
The Airline should take all necessary measures to avoid any delays in transportation of a Passenger and his/her baggage. In case of force majeure (including adverse weather conditions, emergency in the airspace, strikes, riots, civil disorders, embargo, wars, war actions, violation of peace, unsettled international relations, technical problems, or other obstacles that actually threaten or pervert performing safe flights), the Airline is entitled to cancel or delay flight without prior notice to Passengers, as well as to cancel prior confirmed booking.
If in case of force majeure the Airline:
- cancels and does not perform flight within the reasonable terms indicated in the flight schedule, or on air ticket, or
- does not provide a seat on flight according to prior confirmed booking, or
- does not stop at the agreed stop or destination point, or
- causes Passenger’s belated boarding to the next connection flight for which Passenger has confirmed booking, and which is pointed in the same ticket as the previous flight;
1) Carry the Passenger on its next flight, where free seat is available, and in the service class paid by the Passenger
2) Carry the Passenger to the destination point on another route by its flights, or flights of other Carrier, or
3) Arrange Passenger’s transportation by other vehicles, except taxi, or
4) Pay back all costs in the prescribed manner. The Airline shall not have any other obligations.
If in case of internal circumstances (lack of alternate aircrafts) the Airline
- cancels and does not perform flight within the reasonable terms indicated in the flight schedule, or on air ticket, or
- does not provide a seat on flight according to prior confirmed booking, or
- does not stop at the agreed stop or destination point, or
- causes Passenger’s belated boarding to the next connection flight for which Passenger has confirmed booking, and which is pointed in the same ticket as the previous flight;
1) Carry the Passenger on its next flight, or
2) Carry the Passenger to the destination point on another route by its flights, or flights of other Carrier, or
3) Arrange Passenger’s transportation by other vehicles, except taxi, or
4) Pay back all costs in the prescribed manner. If Passengers are waiting for transportation, arrange for his/her service in accordance with paragraph 18.3.3.
The Airline cannot demand the payment of differentials and additional duties due to such changes in transportation; however if the passenger fare and transportation fare for excess baggage carriage on the changed route are lower than the paid amount, the difference may be paid back to Passenger.
The Airline is not responsible for the mistakes and omissions in the flight schedule, and other issued flight schedule of other Carriers, not indicated in the air ticket.
The Airline bears no responsibility if due to delay of the Airline’s flight the transit connection with the other airline’s flight not indicated in the route of the air ticket was broken.
18. Transportation changes
Passenger service class change upon registration
If there is any free seat in business class, service class may be upgraded at Passenger’s option subject to rules and additional payments specified by applicable rates.
Change of class of service due to failure to provide services in accordance with booking
If a Passenger may not be served in accordance with his/her reservation in economy class, service class will be upgraded to business class at the expense of the Airline.
If a Passenger may not be served in accordance with his/her reservation in business class, service class will be decreased subject to return of relative sums. In such cases, free baggage transportation rate will remain unchanged.
Change in transportation due to changes in schedule (other than force majeure)
Passengers should be informed about expecting flight delays.
In case of transportation changes caused by changes in schedule (except for force-majeure
circumstances), the Airline will provide Passengers with services until it is able to perform their transportation by route specified in the ticket.
The list of services to be provided to Passengers will depend on the flight delay duration:
- In case of flight delay for 2 to 5 hours Passengers will be provided with snacks and cooling drinks, communication services (2 local and/or interurban telephone calls, e-mail, telex or fax). If a Passenger wishes to cancel a trip, the air ticket cost will be returned to the full extent without any deduction.
- In case of flight delay for over 5 hours and at the night time, Passengers will be accommodated in a hotel (on international flights) and provided with transport facilities for transportation between the airport and hotel, as well as with meals and drinks. Meals (breakfast, dinner, supper) shall be provided depending on the time of day. Services stipulated in this clause will be provided free of charge. Passengers with permanent residence at the point of flight delay will not be provided with accommodation until a decision considering the flight reschedule on the next day is made. Any additional charges of passengers will not be reimbursed.
In transit or transfer point Passengers will be serviced subject to confirmation of reservation for the next flight segment, if flight connection loss or delay occurs due to the fault of the Airline.
Change in transportation due to the excess number of booked seats on the flight or change of aircraft type
If a Passenger may not be accepted for transportation due to excess of reserved seat for a flight or because of aircraft type change, the Airline shall be obliged to provide Passenger with services in accordance with clause 17.3.
If passengers refuse transportation by other class, or on other flight of the Airline, on flight of other air carrier, or by other transport facilities, the Airline will return the cost of the ticket in accordance with clauses 20.2.2, 20.2.3.
If a Passenger may not be accepted for transportation due to excess of reserved seat for a flight or because of aircraft type change, the Airline can refuse on carriage paying money compensation.
If a Passenger may not be accepted for transportation due to excess of reserved seat for a flight or because of aircraft type change and if the passenger agrees to flight via next available flight the Airline will provide Passengers with services in accordance with paragraph 18.3.3.
19. Passengers service
The Airline shall independently specify and modify regulations, and scope of services to be provided to passengers in accordance with their service class.
If a Passenger refuses the service onboard of A/C, or airport, fully or partially, such service cost shall not be reimbursed, and charges incurred due to such refusal shall not be repaid.
19.2. Airport service
At the airport Passengers will be served by service companies. The Airline shall be not responsible for any damage or losses incurred by Passenger as a result of service mentioned above, or due to impossibility to use such services by the fault of third persons, organizations or agents (intermediates).
The Airline shall independently specify and modify regulations, and scope of services to be provided to Passenger in accordance with the A/C on-board service class.
On-board seat distribution
In order to ensure flight safety, the seats of the aircraft are distributed in such a way that Passengers of a special category shall not prevent the evacuation, and the other Passengers may assist in their evacuation in the event of emergency situation.
In order to ensure flight safety it is prohibited to place the passengers of the following categories in the seat lines close to emergency exits:
- Passengers under the age of 15;
- Passengers with reduced mobility;
- Pregnant women or passengers travelling with infants;
- Passengers with live animals;
- Passengers who are unable to read and perform safety requirements;
- Overweight passengers;
- Passengers incapable to move fast because of their age;
- Children accompanied by adults and children not accompanied by adults;
- Non-escorted and escorted deportees
It is prohibited to place specific category passengers in such manner that they would leave the aircraft through over-wing emergency exit in emergency cases.
It is prohibited to place passengers with limited abilities, passengers with high overweight, civil and criminal deportees and children close to the passages.
It is prohibited to place passengers with live animals close to the kitchen and toilet rooms.
The passengers accompanied by a guide-dog are provided with place at the end of the A/C cabin.
The Airline has determined the priority for boarding of passengers. Passengers will be boarded to the aircraft as follows:
- escorted deportees and arrested persons;
- passengers with limited physical abilities;
- non-accompanied children;
- economy class passengers;
- business class passengers;
- VIP passengers.
Due to the peculiarities of the emergency rescue means on various types of aircraft of the Airline, on some aircrafts it is not allowed to allocate adjacent seats for passengers traveling with infants, and the Airline can change seats of the specified passengers.
The Airline shall provide A/C onboard meals free of charge. If in-flight catering and other additional services are not included into the fare, the Airline shall be entitled to charge payment for on-board meals, drinks and other additional services.
In-flight catering for passengers shall be provided depending on class of service, time of day and the flight duration.
Special in-flight catering (children, vegetarian, religious, dietetic, or sea foods) shall be delivered only subject to advance booking (no later than 24 h prior to the flight).
On the A/C board it is prohibited to use alcoholic drinks non-delivered by the Airline's personnel. In case of breach of this rule, sanctions such as taking away (subject to the returning upon completion of the flight) of alcoholic drinks belonging to passengers and purchased in duty free shops may be applied to passengers.
Flight interruption caused by passenger's illness.
In case of interruption of flight at any intermediate point (that is before destination point) upon request of any passenger, or upon insistence of such passenger's doctor due to illness, injury of the passenger, all relative charges (land transit, hotel accommodation, nutrition, hospital fees) shall be paid by the passenger.
Passenger’s behavior on board of an aircraft must not cause danger or threat to other passengers, their belongings, the aircraft or its crew. Passenger has no right to disturb the crew when it performs its official duties, and has to comply with the aircraft commander and crew's instructions to ensure the aircraft flight safety, as well as safe and comfortable flight for passengers. Passenger’s behavior shouldn't cause any protest by other passengers or humiliate or diminish the honor and dignity of passengers or crew members.
To ensure flight safety the Airline is authorized to prohibit or limit the use of electronics, mobile phones, portable computers, portable recorders, portable radio, CD players, transmission devices, as well as RC toys, portable transceivers and etc. (except for earphones and electric cardio stimulators) on the board of the aircraft.
On the aircraft board Passengers have no right to be drunk (alcohol or drug intoxication, or be affected by any other substances) that may cause danger or be dangerous for other passengers, their belongings, the aircraft or its crew. Use of any alcoholic drinks on the board of the aircraft is allowed only in the amount suggested by the Airline in accordance with the class of service.
Smoking, including electronic cigarette smoking, is prohibited for all flights of the Airline.
If a Passenger does not comply with provisions of clauses 19.5.1 – 19.5.4, the Airline shall be entitled to take all measures required in accordance with situation and necessary in the opinion of the Airline to prevent such behavior. Such measures may include:
- restriction of Passenger’s movement in the cabin of the aircraft; - Passenger’s de-boarding;
- refusal of Passenger’s boarding to the aircraft in any point of the transportation route;
- submission of the Passenger to state law enforcement authorities for taking adequate measures;
- application of administrative and civil penalties against the Passenger (imposition of administrative sanctions, legal recourse for compensation of damage);
- entry of the Passenger’s personal information into the undesirable passenger list with refusal of his/her further transportation by the Airline's flights.
If due to the Passenger’s unauthorized behavior the Airline has to take some actions that result in additional charges, the Passenger has to reimburse such charges to the Airline.
The Airline shall refund sums for an unused ticket (any part thereof), if otherwise is not specified in the regulations of applicable rate specified in the ticket, only on the basis of transportation documents with the IATA number of the Airline (771).
Payments shall be refunded during the transportation document validity term, to a person whose name is indicated in the ticket (or his/her authorized person, as well as to an agency or a person who paid for the ticket).
A ticket issued with regular or special tariff shall be valid for transportation for one-year term from the date of the initial flight.
Payments under transportation documents shall be refunded for one-year term from the date of transportation commencement, if it is started, or for one-year term from the date of transportation document registration, if transportation is not started, and if otherwise is not specified in the regulations of the applicable tariff.
Payment shall be refunded in the country of transportation sales at the place of purchase of the ticket only.
Payment shall be refunded in the same currency and form of payment as the ticket.
Refund of payment shall be considered as compulsory, if a Passenger refuses transportation as a result of the fact that the Airline:
- cancels, reschedules, delays a flight for which Passenger has reservation and a issued ticket; - cancels the A/C landing at the point of Passenger’s departure, destination or stopover;
- changes class of service;
- doesn't provide a Passenger with a seat in accordance with reservation made in advance;
- doesn't provide connection with flight for which the Passenger has confirmed reservation and which is specified in the ticket with previous flight indication;
In case of forced refusal of flight, if transportation is not performed in any flight segments, the whole sum paid for transportation shall be repaid to the Passenger.
In case of forced refusal of flight, if transportation is performed partially, the sum of non-performed transportation cost will be repaid to the Passenger.
In case of Passenger’s voluntary refusal of flight (freewill ticket return) refund of payment shall be
done at the place of purchase and be subject to the regulations of applicable tariffs.
Refusal of the Passenger from the flight due to illness of the passenger, accompanying person or close relatives, or their hospitalisation is not considered a forced refusal from transportation and is not a basis for refunding the cost of transportation.
Refund refusal right
The Airline is entitled to refuse refunding of payment:
- If relative application is filed by a Passenger after the expiry of the ticket period;
- for a ticket purchased by special fare, the regulations of application of which do not stipulate for refund of payment (if a ticket is purchased at such fare, Passenger should be informed by the Airline (its agent) upon reservation, and relevant note is to be made in the ticket;
- If the Airline has documentary proof that a Passenger has purchased and used a ticket for solution of his/her immigration or visa issues only.
Release from obligations
The Airline shall not pay compensation for refusing to carry a Passenger, if: - carriage is refused due to force-majeure circumstances,
- carriage is refused because the government has confiscated the whole or a part of the aircraft capacity used for relevant transportation;
- Passenger refuses to pass safety inspection, or does not comply with instructions issued by the Airline (its Agent or Service Agency);
- Passenger is transported by free ticket or special rate not available for wide range of customers;
- Passenger is transported by charter fight, or flight sold as a part of group transportation or tourist travel with payment of all services (in this case, the carrier shall be responsible for refusal under the agreement);
- In other cases specified by the existing legislation.
21. Passengers' Applications (feedback, suggestions, complaints)
Passengers are entitled to express in writing or orally their displeasure as for the services provided.
Passengers’ oral application (complaint) shall be considered immediately, whenever possible. The Airline shall endeavor its best efforts to provide Passengers with attentive and well founded response, as well as relevant service.
Upon Passenger’s request, he/she shall be provided with the customer feedback book.
Passengers' written complaint consideration procedures
Passenger’s written complaint shall be considered within a month, except for cases stipulated by the existing legislation, and a complaint which does not require additional investigation and examination shall be solved within 15 days, unless another term is stipulated in the existing legislation.
If a comprehensive response may not be given, a Passenger shall be notified about reason of delay and date of receipt of the answer.
22. The Airline, passenger's and Shipper (Consignee)’s liability
The Airline shall be liable to the passengers and Consignors (consignees) in the manner specified by the legislation of Azerbaijan Republic, Warsaw Convention and Montreal Convention, as well by these or any other additional Rules of passenger, baggage and cargo transportation.
The Airline's liability for injury or harm to health of the aircraft passengers
The Airline's liability and its scope of responsibility for harm caused to life or health of the aircraft
passenger shall be determined in accordance with the existing legislation of Azerbaijan Republic, as well as by Warsaw Convention and Montreal Convention.
The Airline shall be liable for damage caused by death or injury to health of Passenger from the moment of pre-flight examination for boarding the aircraft, and up to the moment when the aircraft passenger leaves aerodrome under supervision of the Airline's authorized persons.
The Airline's liability for loss, shortage or damage of the passenger's registered baggage, cargo and hand baggage
The Airline shall be liable for loss, shortage or damage of baggage or cargo after its acceptance for air transportation and up to its delivery to consignee, or until delivery to another citizen or legal person in accordance with specified regulations, if the Airline cannot prove that it has taken all measures to prevent damage, or such measures couldn't be taken.
The Airline shall be liable for loss, shortage or damage of baggage or cargo, if it cannot prove that such loss, shortage or damage of baggage or cargo is not the result of intentionally committed acts (omission) of the Airline, or occurred not in the course of air transportation.
The Airline's liability extent for loss, shortage or damage of baggage and cargo
The Airline shall be liable for loss, shortage or damage of baggage, cargo, as well as passenger’s belongings to the extent of their real cost but not over limits specified by the relative existing legislation of Azerbaijan Republic and Warsaw Convention and Montreal Convention.
The Airline's liability exclusion
The Airline's liability shouldn't be over the sum of damage actually caused.
The Airline shall not be liable and shall not indemnify for damages incurred directly or indirectly due to its compliance with laws, decrees, regulations and governmental orders and these rules, or due to non-compliance thereof by passengers.
The Airline shall not be liable and shall not indemnify for damages incurred not due to its fault, or occurred by any reason beyond the company's control (including natural disaster, weather conditions, and acts of unlawful interference, public authorities' requirements, and other force-majeure circumstances that is the circumstances which the Airline cannot control).
The Airline shall not be liable, if death or injury to the health of any passenger is the result of the passenger's health status.
The Airline shall not be liable to a passenger as for a claim made because of actions or omissions of a person who intentionally caused damage resulted in fatal consequence, trauma, and injury of a passenger or in damage of the passenger's baggage, as well as cargo during transportation.
The Airline shall be released from liability if it proves that loss, shortage or damage of baggage occurred due to circumstances which the Airline couldn't prevent or eliminate, in particular:
- due to the fault of a person who delivered or received baggage;
- due to natural characteristics of things transported;
- as a result of packing defects which could not be noticed during external inspection of baggage accepted;
- due to specific characteristics of things or substances inside baggage, requiring special conditions or safety precautions to be complied with during their transportation and storage. 22.5.7. The Airline shall not be liable:
- for shortage of mass of baggage transported if it is delivered and handed over to the passenger in sound packing without any sign of theft or damage, if the passenger cannot prove that the baggage shortage has taken place and is due to the fault of the Airline;
- for damage of fragile and perishable things, money, jewelry, precious metals, silverware, securities and business papers, medications, keys, passports, identities and certificates, as well as other things not accepted as checked-in baggage whether or not the Airline is informed about presence of such things in baggage.
The Consignor/Consignee’s liability
Consignor/Consignee shall be liable for any damage caused to the Airline or the person, who the Airline is responsible to, as a result of the presented information being not correct or full.
Consignor/Consignee must reimburse for all expenses incurred by the Airline as the result of failure to fulfil the requirements of state and administrative authorities of the Republic of Azerbaijan or of the country of destination (departure/transit).
If the Airline suffers damage due to the fault of any passenger, then the passenger shall be materially liable to the extent of damage caused.
The passenger shall be liable for noncompliance with:
- Transportation rules (photographing, filming, use of mobile and radio communication facilities on board of the aircraft, etc.);
- Orders of the aircraft commander;
- Fire safety regulations, sanitary-and-hygienic, as well as anti-epidemic rules;
- Rules of dangerous goods or substance transportation;
- Flight safety regulations (attempt to open door, hatchway of the aircraft, refusal to pass safety inspection and submit baggage for screening, fastening seat belts, smoking on board of aircraft, and rooms not specifically designated for it, etc.);
- for improper behavior in terminal building and city agencies, airports, aerodromes and aircrafts, as well as for illegal actions against other passengers and the Airline's personnel;
- for other violations stipulated in the existing legislation of the Republic of Azerbaijan.
23. Claims and actions
The procedure of making a complaint and a claim
In case of breach of the transportation agreement terms and conditions the Airline, its representatives or service Agent shall explain to a Passenger the procedure of claim lodging, and assist him/her in execution of documents required in this respect.
A claim may be forwarded directly to the Airline or its Agent at the point of departure, destination, transfer, transit, stopover, at the discretion of the claimer.
Each claim against the Airline should include description of reasons for its lodging and damage caused, list of baggage contents lost or damaged, nature and scope of damage caused. The amount of loss should be proved by the party concerned.
The claimer must attach to his/her claim all necessary documents proving the right to claim compensation for the loss - ticket, excess baggage payment receipt (or their copies), tear-off baggage tag coupon, bills of sale, charges incurred receipt, report of irregularities occurred during baggage transportation, loss sum calculation, and other relative documents.
A claim against the Airline with regard to indemnification of losses in case of injury of a Passenger may be forwarded by the complainant, and in case of his death - by a person entitled for loss indemnification, in accordance with general civil legislation provisions.
Report of irregularities occurred during transportation of baggage is not the evidence of damage caused. Absence of report of irregularities occurred during transportation of baggage doesn't deprive the passenger of right to forward a claim or a complaint.
Passenger’s acceptance of baggage without any objection at the moment of its delivery or acceptance serves as assumption that the baggage is delivered by the Airline in proper condition, and in accordance with the transportation agreement terms and conditions, if otherwise is not proved.
Passenger claims shall be considered by the Airline in accordance with prescribed procedures.
The Airline shall examine a claim and notify the claimer about its satisfaction or rejection within 3 months, if transportation associated with the claim is fully performed by the Airline's flights.
The examination term for Passengers claims related to transportations involving other carriers may be prolonged up to 6 months subject to the claim settlement regulations of such carriers in place.
Claims and term of limitation
Prior to forwarding a claim to the Airline, arisen due to non-fulfillment of the passenger or baggage air transportation agreement terms and conditions, the passenger or a person acting upon the passenger's instruction shall provide a written claim on mandatory basis. It may be excluded in case of death or injury of the passenger when such written claim should be forwarded by persons entitled to loss indemnification in accordance with the civil legislations norms.
A claim related to death or injury of a passenger may be forwarded within 2 years.
In case of delay of passenger transportation or other cases, the passenger or his/her authorized person is entitled to forward a claim no later than 21 days following the date of arrival of the passenger to the point of destination, or following the date of his/her scheduled arrival at the point of destination.
In case of damage of baggage, the passenger shall be entitled to forward a written claim for loss indemnification within the terms specified below:
- In case of destruction, damage or shortage of baggage - immediately after detection of damage, but no later than 7 days from the date of baggage collection;
- In case of delay of baggage transportation - within 21 days from the date of delivery of baggage to the Passenger;
- In case of loss of baggage – within 2 years from the date of the aircraft arrival to the point of destination, or from the date when it was scheduled to arrive at the point of destination, or from the date of termination of transportation. Baggage shall be considered lost if it is not found during search within 21 days from the date when baggage was scheduled to arrive to the point of destination.
Claims on the Airline's liability relating to improper transportation of Passengers or Baggage will be forwarded (at the discretion of the claimer) to a court at the place of registration of the Airline, or at the place of its registered office location, or to the location of the Carrier’s office via which the transportation agreement was concluded, but no later than two years from the date of the aircraft arrival to the point of destination, or from the date when it was scheduled to arrive at the point of destination, or from the date of termination of transportation.
If a written claim is not forwarded within the terms specified in clauses 22.3.2 and 22.3.4, no claim may be forwarded against the Airline.
24. Notification of a passenger
Provisions of this section shall be applied to the Airline and its Sales Agents in the territory of Azerbaijan.
The Airline (its Agent) shall place the following information at its sales office in a place visible and available for customers:
- its full name, legal address;
- copies of permits (licenses, certificates, attestations) for performance of transportations (sales of transportations);
- Local consumer protection authorities' phone number.
In the course of sales of tickets the Airline (its Agent) shall provide the following information to passengers:
- Passenger, baggage and cargo air transportation rules – through the Airline's website.
- Transportation costs on corresponding route – orally at the point of ticket sales upon reservation (in case of on-line transportation sales through Internet system – electronically through the website provided for reservation of transportations, or by indication required information in the route hardcopy);
- Costs, conditions and restrictions for transportations by special fare – orally upon reservation (in case of e-ticket - through the website designated for reservation);
- Administrative procedures that apply to travelling on corresponding route – orally upon reservation;
- The Airline's liability extent for transportation of passengers and baggage - in these rules through the Airline's website;
- Indemnification sums for delay of carriage - orally at the Airline's (service Agent's) representative office at the airport in case of delay of carriage;
- Things and goods prohibited to be transported – through the Airline's website;
- Business and economy class services list and norms – upon the passenger's request.