August 2, 2019, Baku – On the instruction of Azerbaijan’s President, Mr. Ilham Aliyev, the second runway at the Nakhchivan International Airport is under construction.
Chairman of the Supreme Assembly of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic Vasif Talibov and AZAL President Jahangir Asgarov got familiarized with the construction work on August 2.
AZAL President Jahangir Asgarov informed that the new runway meets international requirements and will allow Nakhchivan International Airport to ensure uninterrupted operation of the airport in case one of the runways is closed for repair or maintenance.
The project envisages:
- construction of asphalt concrete runway, the length of which will be 3300 meters, the width - 60 meters. The second runway, like the existing one, will make it possible to receive wide-body aircraft;
- carrying out large-scale drainage works in the area adjacent to the airport;
- over 800 thousand cubic meters of land work is planned in the take-off and landing zone in order to remove obstacles;
-acquiring a new landing approach system for both areas of runway, ensuring the safety of flights on the second category of ICAO CAT II (decision height from 30 to 400 metres);
- installation of Furuno WR2100 automated weather radar for monitoring of severe weather events with horizontal 360° and vertical scanning from -2 to 182 degrees;
- installation of automated meteorological sensors on the runway;
- acquiring a new automated air traffic control system (ATC);
- installation of a ground correction satellite navigation station;
- upgrade of Air-Earth radio communications equipment;
- installation of signal-light equipment for both areas of the runway for night flights;
The total cost of the project is estimated at about 50 million manat. Commissioning of the second runway of the Nakhchivan Airport is scheduled for September 2019.
Chairman of the Supreme Assembly of Nakhchivan Autonomous Republic Vasif Talibov and AZAL President Jahangir Asgarov expressed their satisfaction with the work done and gave relevant recommendations and instructions.
It should be noted that during the last reconstruction, two new terminals - the western and the eastern terminals were put into operation at the airport. The airport has a business lounge, cafes, restaurants, mother-and-child rooms, medical care room and other necessary services for passengers.
Press service of CJSC Azerbaijan Airlines